davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some Jonsered chaps but they don’t cover the family jewels and the pocket is too small and high to be of any use. Also I need another pair for my son. I want some for hot weather with a low leg pocket for wedges and such like I see @afleetcommand wearing.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like you tried the stihls? I understand these do not fill your need for a low wedge pocket. I think the calf might be the most important part.

When I asked two old loggers 15+ years ago what to watch out for in the forest that's unusual, I felt I had the basics. The older retired dude pulled up his pant leg and showed me the backside of his calf where the bar had ran behind his leg when he was limbing. Then the younger (60ish) guy showed me his calf scar and then I heard alot of "oh yea, yea yea, oh yea, mm hhm, yup". I'm too old to trim my nut hair with a saw anymore so chaps with a calf wrap are good enough for me. I'm sure if you asked them, just for the marketing, they could make you a cod piece for the jewels. They cover the front of my jewels i guess, but I'm far more concerned about calf protection.

I like the forest green and I like leaving my money in America. There a little warm in summer, but I figure If they weren't they wouldn't have enough layers of fiber to stop a chain and the whole point is to avoid the er. Also they can't be hotter than full pants? Sometimes I get thin old dress pants at the thrift store for summer cutting and just toss them when they tear. They come in a couple of lengths as well as widths. You might want to make a wedge pouch setup out of a dropleg holster. There are no pockets on them, but you could add one. When I bought my son's I got him a red pair that fit his short/wide ass.

Mine have held up well for 7 - 10 years. I can't say exactly when I got them. No tears, just regular wear and a protective coating of sap. I can't see them not lasting another 15.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Labonville 41" full wrap. I'm 6'6" and they fit well. No pocket though. I've yet to hear an ambulance call for a chainsaw accident involving one's junk. If your junk hangs that low maybe you have other problems.:D

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your junk hangs that low your problem proof. I agree the low nut to chainsaw accident rate sounds ok, but do you want to risk it. I'm more afraid of one of my saws kickin me in the nutz with the handle than I am of the other end. I had a 262 ks no dcomp that really liked to make me puke in the forest. Really you just need to epoxy/zip tie a baseball cup in those *b-wordes. Or I bet you could get some neat leather harness to hold it on, black with shiny buttons? I kid. I learned that some saws should start on the ground......

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not run the normal pants with protection? huge pockets and just better.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am often in and out of saw work on a given day (go out to the back yard of the shop and cut at lunch or after work, etc.) and changing is not practical. That and trying to find a fit I like, as well as cost for something I probably wont use too much. Also I often work in the heat and go like the Aussies, shorts and chaps.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if you dont take any risks running your saw. by that i mean dont take any shortcuts and use the safe and proper body mechanics, you shouldnt have to worry about your calves or your junk. i have worked in situations where taking a shortcut seems like no big deal but the consiquences arent worth it. thats not to say that i havent done it. if you are cutting something and you or someone else is in the line of fire from a kickback just dont do it.. stable footing and such. you arent in a production type cutting environment are you? not that it should make any difference. im sure you are picking up what im sayin.