Champion 27 ton splitter, detent valve issue

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been working this 27 ton Champion splitter, purchased in 2018 at Home Depot, hard. Probably have split a couple hundred cords with it at most.

The automatic return, detent and valve has developed an issue.

It does not release when it returns/retracts but continues to lug, thus burdening the engine. Can these be adjusted or can the problem only be solved with replacing the valve? Thanks for any input.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally speaking yes .I just went through this recently on a splitter that used "dirty hand " hydraulics .That design only the detent release was in the control valve and the pressure and shift was on the pump .Worst system I've every seen . In that example some how one coil from the detent release spring had broken .

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Champion units are better than most. Ran into a younger worker from VT who said he split 100 cords with a Timberwolf this year, he said that VT is booming because they don't have the foreign labor and many locals are not too eager to work.

The control unit apparently failed. I was on a job today and it stopped working. I had it in an engaged position and it suddenly shot out to the full near block end, grateful my hands were not nearby. I have seen people say that log splitters with wood being suddenly released etc. has broken bones in their hands. Of course the severed fingers was a #1 issue for years such that CT made automatic returns illegal for a number of years.

I will order a replacement control valve as it could probably be rebuilt, but just don't have the experience for that.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy my hydraulic stuff from Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska .Some valves they have the pictorial lay out and some they do not as well as the rebuild kits .Recently on the Dirty Hand stuff it was purchased in a job lot thing and they had no instructions . That said if you know the brand name and model number you should be able to find the rebuild kits plus the instructions on the internet .

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
here is a trick on the detent problem that works for awhile. involves taking valve apart and rotating the piston/ barrel what ever you want to call it 180 degs and put it back together. be mindful of the proper order of the parts. this pretty much doubles the life of the valve. I am getting ready to install my 3rd valve having worn out the previous ones - seems by the time I wear out one of import units the mfg isn't around any more for internal parts . Ya I know I should just buy a prince unit and be done with it, but its always what I can get right now at the farm store type of thing.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to suggest Prince ,made in the USA .I've used several for home builds with no problems except one picked up some chips but it was simple take it apart and clean it out thing .Fact the 27 ton unit right in front of my garage about ten years I replaced the engine and I had fitted a Prince valve as a replacement of the original valve .That machine belongs to somebody else .

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spoke with Champion; the description I gave on the failure to the technical department sounds to him like the cylinder/piston. He said it is imperative to change the hydraulic fluids every year or so which we have not done in 4 plus. The fluid turns brown, gets acidic and eats into the cylinder.

So at this point if I want to save the unit would have to repair or replace the cylinder at $400! I spoke to a shop that said they had a number of these but can't get parts, will not work on them except to change out the major parts with US for $1000!