Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jim has built two saws for me, the first was my Dads Stihl 045. Dad bought it used when I was in High School and it was his primary saw for years. It fried several years back when i was working for Deere and didn't really know anything about working on two strokes apart from basic maintaince. Dad had a local small engine guy rebuild it but it was never right after. I messed with it off and on for a while and finally got fed up with it. Under the advisement of another forum member I contacted Jim and after explaining the whole situation he said to send him the powerhead and he would make it run again. After he received the saw he stripped it and meticulously cleaned everything, split the fuel tank to clean it and replace the fuel line, installed new crank seals, replaced the original 50mm top end (when Dad had the saw rebuilt he had paid for a N.O.S. top end, turned out they cleaned up the original scored 50mm cylinder and re ringed the piston) with a 54mm top end and ported it, replaced the original (failing, would only work intermittently, defective coil) points ignition with a good working electronic setup, repaired and modded the carb, and replaced the old crappy muffler with a very nice one that he modded. Work was completed in a timely manner and the saw was test run, filmed and a video uploaded for me to see before it was drained, carefully packed, and sent back. It runs unbelievably well and Dad is even a little afraid of it now.

The other saw Jim has built for me is my Husqvarna 1100CD. I had told him how much I wanted a 2100 family saw and he got me a really good deal on a nice original 1100CD and agreed to give it a good once over before sending it. The saw turned out to be in much worse shape than it had originally appeared and Jim insisted on making it right for no extra charge. He split the case and did a complete rebuild and port job, even did a thread here on the site about it. I received it in time for the 2017 Mastermind GTG and it impressed everyone who ran it, especially @Canadian farm boy who was not quite ready when he first pulled the trigger.

Jims work is as meticulous as any I have ever seen and I have the pleasure of being able to call him a friend. I wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone wanting saw work done, especially on vintage saws.

Joe

Last edited:

Heffalump

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thus far, Jim has ported and/or rebuilt 7 saws for me, and is working on 1 more.

Every saw he has done for me has run perfectly, and been a joy to cut with. My 044 is a hands-down beast. My 52E (which used to suffer from chronic vapor-lock) now starts immediately, runs hard, and re-starts all danm day. My 70E with the MS440 piston is a very solid and reliable worksaw. The 2051 is freaking amazing, and the Jonsereds 80/90 is now wearing my Alaska mill....until he finishes up the 111S'.

Oh, and the 034S he did up for Mrs. Heffalump is downright scary with anything smaller than a 20" bar on it. ;)

Updated 6/2018

The 775G he rebuilt for my pops is insane. The 111S he rebuilt and ported for me is a mind blower.

Last edited:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a great saw today from Chainsaw Jim. I bought the saw from him and he ported it before sending it to me (Stihl 026). The saw arrived very well packed and it seems to be quite angry yet well mannered.

I have had only the slightest amount of time to run the saw, but he posted a ton of video as he was preparing the saw for me. There was no doubt about what would be arriving in the box.

Jim is a great guy to deal with, and offers a very strong product. Do not hesitate to send him your saw for porting, you will be well pleased with his work. DW

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You jaw kinda drops when you read this thread top to bottom given the context we now have about Jim and his shenanigans.