Chain recommendations for flush cutting stumps

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hope everyone is doing well. I’ve been doing tree removals lately and have started my own business, etc. Anyways, I recently bought a fantastic MMWS MS880 from a member here and it’s currently wearing a 41” cannon SuperBar. It’s wearing semi- chisel full comp chain and I’m not sure of the brand. I’m looking to get a couple extra loops to keep in rotation and I’m wondering if my thinking is on the right track. .404 semi chisel should have the best durability in the dirty wood off a stump. Full skip gives me better chip clearance with that long bar and makes sharpening less of a chore. So I should be looking at full skip semi chisel in .404? Any one wanna recommended a brand and part number?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I set up a 661 for a service with a .404 semi chisel. He loves it. If given the chance I would go with semi-skip semi-chisel .404. Imo that's the best setup for our large oaks and dead ash. Service says hes 1/2 way through 1 chain in 6 months use. Cant thank me enough. Never heard of "semi" anything no less .404

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I set up a 661 for a service with a .404 semi chisel. He loves it. If given the chance I would go with semi-skip semi-chisel .404. Imo that's the best setup for our large oaks and dead ash. Service says hes 1/2 way through 1 chain in 6 months use. Cant thank me enough. Never heard of "semi" anything no less .404

That’s the majority of the trees I cut. Lots of ash and maple and several oaks. I will look into semi skip, I’ve never ran it. I’ve ran full skip full chisel and full comp full and semi chisel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

One small problem. I can’t find a semi chisel semi skip. I can find Oregon 27AX which is semi chisel full skip. Apparently my google foo is weak tonight. I’ve checked Madsens, Baileys, and loggerchain. Even checked ebay. Any ideas on a brand and product number?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One small problem. I can’t find a semi chisel semi skip. I can find Oregon 27AX which is semi chisel full skip. Apparently my google foo is weak tonight. I’ve checked Madsens, Baileys, and loggerchain. Even checked ebay. Any ideas on a brand and product number?
Interesting...lest we summon those on higher "chain" planes. @Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flush cutting stumps can be hard on chains and saws, due to the dirt. I might think of having a separate bar to use / abuse for this purpose, if you are going to have a special chain anyway. A hard nose bar would hold up better that anything with a sprocket.

I would consider some type of carbide cutter for this application:
https://rapcoindustries.com/carbide-chainsaw-chain-designs/

As far as part numbers, I would check with the manufacturers to see if what you want is available, then work back to see who carries it. E.g. Archer lists a .404 pitch, .063 gauge chipper (yes, 'chipper') chain (CH-F-062-100R or CH-F-062-25R in 100 foot or 25 foot reels), but I don't know who carries it.

If you can't find the cutter sequence you want, you might consider compromising; spending some time with a spinner/ breaker; or making a 'cowboy skip' chain with a Dremel tool:
https://opeforum.com/threads/anybody-ever-make-their-own-skip-chains.8465/

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last I knew, @Armbru84 had a roll of Raisman semi chisel .404 full comp that he might spare a loop of. More like chipper with the big round cutters. Cuts a little slow but seemed to last quite well. It was the only chain that lasted more than 1 cut in a 36” elm crotch at a gtg a couple years ago. It made it through 6 cuts before we touched it up

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Shoot me a PM with what you need and I am sure I can make it happen way cheaper than you will find it for online. Stuff lasts forever as Kev said.
Or get some Harvester full skip chipper. You could hack up a piece of full to make a scratcher chain. Last and last but harder to sharpen. My last old batch was 065 gauge. Won't barely fit right in a new bar guide rail. Got maybe 200dl left of that. It is the magic touch for my 42" in nasty stuff on the mill or wiping out rotten sandy stumps.

I'm looking for a short bar now in 404 for the smaller stumps between 16-22" Any mount will do 9-14mm, 063, sprocket or hardnose. Have all the Stihl ES tips here if it needs a swap. Found a piece of chain in full comp chipper H to use on it.