Chain gets slack too quick

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, heck now I got a new problem. And it's happening on two saws! A Stihl 362 (20 inch) and a Stihl 400 (25 inch). I make four or five bucking cuts on one-year-cut oak and the chain is so loose I have to tighten. On both saws, the adjustment screw had room to go either way in adjustment.

And how tight are you supposed to tighten the bar nuts? I don't remember if I read an article or saw a video but I seem to recall someone saying you should NOT tighten them super tight. Granted, I have been doing my normal, which is not as tight as I can get them but pretty darn snug. I have no idea why the chain is loosening so quickly.

The 25 inch is a pretty new chain, the 20 inch, its cutters are not as long, so, it is more used.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they oiling properly and also are you holding up on the bar when adjusting chain and tightening it

Yes both oiling. As for holding up on the bar, maybe I am not as diligent with that as I have been. I will try that next session.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes both oiling. As for holding up on the bar, maybe I am not as diligent with that as I have been. I will try that next session.

Some chains stretch more than others and stretch alot if overheated from lack of oil as stated above. I hold up on the bar and turn the adjuster until the chain touches the bottom of the bar and tighten the bar nuts while still holding up on the bar. I tighten the nuts good and snug but not over tight.

Last edited:

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold the bar tip up while setting your tension. “No sag, no drag” is what you’re looking for. I use my scrench against the back of a cutter to rotate the chain around the bar and check to see how much friction it has. Find the sweet spot where it’s good and snug but you don’t feel a lot of drag , and lock it down tight. Hold the bar tip up for this entire process.

Then hold the bar’s tip near a piece of wood at full throttle. It should sling a little line of oil residue on the log if it’s properly lubricating the chain.

Most common reasons for rapidly loosening chains: lack of oil. Chain too tight. Bar tip not locked in raised position. Chain too dull (causing excessive heat.)

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a new 362 that would stretch the chain a lot just doing the calibrate procedure with no cutting.