Chain for black locust

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a chain that is good in black locust. Chain is 3/8 otions are husqvarna x-cut, oregon multi cut stihl rs.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cant get rm in 3/8 0.58
What angesl do you use. 30/60 ?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me Oregon LGX holds it's edged longer in hardwoods than Stihl RS, round filed with the same roller filing guide.

I have two Stihl RS loops, they have yet to impress me.
Just saying.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I was an rm fan, after running husqvarna x-cut for several days. I am definitely impressed with the x-cut.
stuff is crazy sharp off the reel. i used thr crap outta a loop today just to see how it reacts...er how it takes to re profile it

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a chain that is good in black locust. Chain is 3/8 otions are husqvarna x-cut, oregon multi cut stihl rs.
What saws are you using.
Are you just cutting firewood, what size wood.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me Oregon LGX holds it's edged longer in hardwoods than Stihl RS, round filed with the same roller filing guide.

I have two Stihl RS loops, they have yet to impress me.
Just saying.

LGX was replaced by EXL .

Wjat angles do you use.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LGX was replaced by EXL .

Wjat angles do you use.
I have a couple LGX loops in my chain stash, as well as Vanguard which I like just as well once I customize the rakers.

I have a pair of EXL too, good chain as far as I can tell making some test cuts.

I use angles provided by the Archer FastFiler filing guide, I think it is 30°.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DSC04577.JPG

Mostly Oregon Vanguard and Dolmar 496, a couple Oregon LGX and Dolmar 099 - these four models are my most favorite.

I also have some Stihl RS and RM, Stihl Rapid Duro3 & Picco Duro3 one each, Carlton A2LM, Oregon .404" round tooth, TriLink chisel & semi chisel (worst chains ever :vomiton22je: ), one Archer loop, and a couple no name loops.

I mostly buck skidded hardwood logs, turkey oak (being my neighbor, You may know it as "cer"), regular oak, beech, hornbeam, occasionally fresh locust.
Even though the firewood logs I tend to process are skidded, I prefer full complement round filed full chisel Oregon/Dolmar chains.
I have and tried semi chisel and round tooth, they just feel slow to me, which in turn makes the bucking experience boring (to me using chainsaws is all about having fun, I hate bucking logs when it turns into work).

Does semi chisel and round tooth hold its edge longer?
No!
Can One make more straight bucking cuts trough dirt embedded logs with them?
Yes, but they'll be slow and You'll be basically just torturing Your saw, bar and chain.

If You are good at getting Your chains sharp, go full chisel and pick a quality brand chain.

If are not good at sharpening Your own chains You may want to try semi chisel.

If Your wood tends to be embedded in sand and dirt (NOT gravel, stones), You might wanna consider giving Stihl Rapid Duro3 a try. It is an expensive Solid-Carbide tipped semi chisel chain. I used mine countless hours for a whole year before it got so dull that I called it quits. One of the cons of Solid-Carbide tipped chains is that they have to be ground.

All the above is just my own experience and opinion.
Your mileage may vary so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Cheers :beer-toast1:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black locust.... I cut a small stand of black locust last year. It was frozen in the wintertime and was filing every tank of gas just to keep an edge with full chisel chain. It seemed like the wood has a high silica content or something. Semi chisel if I was to do it again. Semi just doesn’t bore cut very well (slower than full chisel), so that’s something to keep in mind. If your just cutting firewood that shouldn’t really matter. I like stihl RM for a semi chisel chain. It’s expensive but it cuts better than other brands of semi chisel in my experiences. No safety bumper links. Full chisel I like the good old Oregon LGX. Yes there are others that cut better out of the box... but I seem to get the best results from handfiled LGX. Experiment and find what works for you.

Last edited:

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've cut around 20 m3 of pure dry black locust this year, still around 12 m3 left. Its a b-word , underestimated wood. Really likes to warm up the bar and chain .
Using "generic" stihl chain heh, and it cuts reasonably okay with sharp chain, but then you can sit on your motorka to get it cutting dull.