mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am working on a Cat 3 cylinder Diesel engine for my friend who cuts our grass. Does anyone here know how to time the engine. I got a new oil pump for it that I need to install. I can send pictures. I checked into buying a shop manual but they were over 500.00$. I think around 750.00. I have searched for info on the interweb but no luck. So I need a Diesel mechanic. If anyone can help me out I will post all the information on this engine that I have. Thanks STAY SAFE

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you timing? Camshaft, injection pump? What model engine?

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a C1.5. Engagement number 73.8624. I had to pull the oil pump gear off It connects between the injection pump and crankshaft.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve where did you go? Please need help BAD.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve where did you go? Please need help BAD.

Have a wife, kids, job, ect. :D

Did not find anything. Friend at CAT only has OTR information. Unfortunately you will have to get service information and chock this up as a learning experience. In the future check for timing marks on the gears. If there are not any then make your own before disassembly.

Been in your shoes before. Cost me alot of money. But got some good experience. :)

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They have marks.But my question is do you just line up mark or does it have to be on the compression stroke and # 1 cylinder at TDC? WIFE? go take her to a quilt making class. Only thing she will bug you for is MONEY. I swear it is a cult. Who knew you had to have a 60.000.00$ machine to make quilt in you basement. Kids tie them up and hand them in the closet upside down. I don't have any. It is good you got a job at this difficult time. Ok if there is anything else I can straighten out for you just let me know. Thank you very MUCH for any and all of the info you pass along.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Im retired,, did some google, not much out there,
Keep us posted.
Ive done VW TDIs,, also a pain. 5.9 cummins

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy crap Bob. Thats GREAT. I looked but I did not find that. UDAMAN

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just my Komatsu/Cummins two cents. If you can stage the crank and cam timing marks then pull #1 valve cover and see if both valves are closed. If so then POSSIBLY oil pump and fuel pump timing marks should also be staged. Again this is not etched in stone only from a little experience. Some front covers have plugs to examine timing marks so a complete front cover removal mat not be necessary.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the front cover off. I got the head off also. I don't know what that gray stuff is that they put on the head and block but it sure is a pain to clean. I guess the new head gasket will come covered in it I hope.If it does not come on the head gasket I will have to find out what it is. You mush use a paint roller to put it on. There is no over spill what so ever.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, You are opening a can of worms for sure bud. They may of had a surfacing sealing issue between the block and head. Normally no head gasket sealant should be used. But on a problem child I've used copper brush tack with good results. Why don't you post some pics.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never seen gasket sealer done so even and neat

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is not gasket sealer. It is a graphite head gasket. Scrape it off with a razor blade. Looks like the engine has been sitting and had water in it?