Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the official thread for @GCJenks204 Gary's entry in the build off. Gary found a Home Depot saw a DCS6410. Had it sent to me along with the larger 7910 P&C for it. Was supposed to be straight gassed, wasn't so...
Somebody forgot something...
IMG_20181109_141702141.jpg

Here it is!
IMG_20181109_143857660.jpg
That's betterer.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome start Steve. Still shocked how good it looks, can’t wait to see it in person.

A special thanks to @stihl livin for making the trip to HD to pick this up for me.

Did the bottom end sustain any damage? How much work to find that piece? If I remember correctly the guy said straight gassed twice, first mat have been legit but the guy that rebuilt was a slacker..

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome start Steve. Still shocked how good it looks, can’t wait to see it in person.

A special thanks to @stihl livin for making the trip to HD to pick this up for me.

Did the bottom end sustain any damage? How much work to find that piece? If I remember correctly the guy said straight gassed twice, first mat have been legit but the guy that rebuilt was a slacker..

It lasted probably right up until the throttle was hit for the first time. Piston cylinder and spark plug barely have any evidence at all of running. The circlip was from the old piston as the replacement had both clips in it. Air filter is dickered as well with a hole in it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I cleaned out the bottom end and ran a magnet in there best I could do. The bearings felt good after flushing.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if they added weight to smaller piston to balance crank at same rpm as bigger slug.

The small piston is windowed and its larger counterpart is slab sided. I can only speculate why. Big swing from 64 to 79cc. Most saws don't make this big of a jump on the same chassis. I guess if one knew which came first the small or big P&C then one could guess as to if one was lightened or made heavier. I'm not too hip on these saws to know.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a 6401 on Craigslist a couple of years ago, barely used... the guy delivered it to my house for $175, and it came with a 20” bar & chain, and a Makita branded scabbard. It ran flawlessly.

It still had the sticker on it from when it sold new. I sold it on AS for $325... and the original selling price was $299.95!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The small piston is windowed and its larger counterpart is slab sided. I can only speculate why. Big swing from 64 to 79cc. Most saws don't make this big of a jump on the same chassis. I guess if one knew which came first the small or big P&C then one could guess as to if one was lightened or made heavier. I'm not too hip on these saws to know.
The previous 7900 piston was windowed. Pretty much the same cylinder as 7910 other than the slr from what I heard.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've got a couple of original 6400's. One from 2003 and the other from 2007. Look the same but the newer piston is slightly heavier.

2003 - 64g piston only
2007 - 66g piston only

The newer was actually heavier than it is now, there's some material missing from wear. The older one still has it's machine marks.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the official thread for @GCJenks204 Gary's entry in the build off. Gary found a Home Depot saw a DCS6410. Had it sent to me along with the larger 7910 P&C for it. Was supposed to be straight gassed, wasn't so...
Somebody forgot something...
View attachment 149593

Here it is!
View attachment 149594
That's betterer.

It is a clean saw. My entry will be far less aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Lol.

Hey Steve, would you mind posting up a pic of the side of the 6410 piston. Just want to take a look at the windows and what not for comparison.