High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bulk firewood bags

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone using them? I bought 15 from a shop in OH for about $15 each. Each holds 1/3 of a cord. I started filling them. Curious how they will work. I figure my time to handle and stack 1/3 of a cord is worth more than $5 ($15 each divided by 3 seasons since they are reusable.)

I guess time will tell if the wood dries.

W

Beefie

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m curious on how it dries inside the bag, if there is a mold issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have used the gravel bags before.
Here is one full of kindling that I stashed in the barn.
I think they are often discarded, so the price is right. Small enough for a pickup truck bed.
27037.jpeg

timberrr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a bunch of bags 3 or 4 years ago from a guy that sells his firewood in the bags. He claims that he gets 1/2 cord in the bags but I don’t think they really fit that much. Maybe if you really beat the bag up with a piece of equipment but since I reuse the bags I try not to overpack them.

They definitely have pros and cons although overall they’ve been good. We got them because we store all of our firewood in my parents barn and we were trying to cut down on the numbers of times we were stacking wood and transporting it between the forest and the splitting pile and the barn and the garage. They’re more beneficial for my dad because he just brings them down from the barn to the garage on pallets with the skid steer. I have to bring my trailer over and load up 2 bags and then park it in my garage which blocks up my work space so I’ve stopped using the bags lately.

I’ve tried multiple methods for filling the bags, stacking neatly vs. random piling, filling freshly split wood vs. letting it sit in a pile for a while after splitting before filling. In most cases I haven’t had issues with the wood drying, the top half of the bag does seem to be more dry but the bottom half isn’t bad. It definitely doesn’t dry as fast or as well as it would outside the bag in a nice stack but it’s not bad.

The 2 issues I’ve had is that mice sometimes get into the bags and build nests in the bottom of them. Not a big deal really but sometimes I’ll find a dead mouse and a mess of junk at the bottom. I have had issues with mold in some bags. Anywhere between 1-3 bags in a season usually. I think it’s usually because the wood that I put in the bags was already in pretty rough shape and had been sitting on the ground and started to rot anyways so that’s my fault. If you put good quality wood in there I don’t think you’ll have issues with mold.

600ECBE6-CA5F-4EC0-A19D-8EB2AABDA0A5.jpeg E7039A84-4C42-4124-82AE-636EED680ACF.jpeg 131B1364-781F-4A7A-834C-CA93FAA65ECE.jpeg

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a local guy that sells his wood in the IBC tote cages. He wires chicken wire or fending to the inside and stacks them full. Delivers using a flatbed with a piggyback forklift.