High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Brand New 550xp. What to Expect from the first pull!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I purchased my 550xp from my dealer I had no idea what to expect. I searched different forums for specific information on start up and break-in. I also was scared of if something was wrong or is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Why did the saw just do what it did? I'm no expert by any means. Here we can talk about how to and what to expect from our brand new autotune. As we come up with more information throughout this thread I will update this post to make finding this information easy.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My saw came equipped with an 18" bar and .325 H30 chain. It included an instruction manual, a nylon mesh air filter, a fleece air filter, a 19×13 scrench with a flat blade, a 8x10 scrench with a 4mm allen, cold weather cover to limit the cooling air and prevent snow from cloging the fan, and a plastic grease gun with a tube of grease. It's not in the picture because I could not get the grease gun bled.
20170118_193136.jpg

To start the saw I found it important to follow the cold and warm start procedure in the manual. Apparently Husqvarna agrees as they put a sticker on the top cover to remind us. I also found it interesting that they DO NOT want you to use the decompression valve on a warm start.
20170118_193250.jpg

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Congrats on 550! They are an awesome lightweight powerhouse of a saw. Lots of good info on them to found in this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My saw came equipped with an 18" bar and .325 H30 chain. It included an instruction manual, a nylon mesh air filter, a fleece air filter, a 19×13 scrench with a flat blade, a 8x10 scrench with a 4mm allen, cold weather cover to limit the cooling air and prevent snow from cloging the fan, and a plastic grease gun with a tube of grease. It's not in the picture because I could not get the grease gun bled.
View attachment 51104

To start the saw I found it important to follow the cold and warm start procedure in the manual. Apparently Husqvarna agrees as they put a sticker on the top cover to remind us. I also found it interesting that they DO NOT want you to use the decompression valve on a warm start.
View attachment 51103
I've had problems with those grease guns before.:mad: Are you running the factory H30 chain on your new Sugi bar? I'm wondering if the factory bar is a narrow kerf bar like the on that came on my saw. Are Sugi bars narrow kerf or regular .050 gauge? I only got the nylon filter that came on the saw. What is the advantage of the other filter? Different cutting conditions?o_O I may have mentioned this before on a different thread but several more knowledgeable people have told me to put a thin bead of grease on the base of the air filter to make a better seal where it sits on the air box/ carb. of the saw.:) I'm anxious to get some colder weather to try that cold weather cover on the saw & see if it solves the bog hesitation/ stall problem like Spike said.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't get a manual with my saw & have had trouble trying to download it on Husqvarna's site. Are we supposed to be greasing anything on the saw besides the bar tip?o_O

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had problems with those grease guns before.:mad: Are you running the factory H30 chain on your new Sugi bar? I'm wondering if the factory bar is a narrow kerf bar like the on that came on my saw. Are Sugi bars narrow kerf or regular .050 gauge? I only got the nylon filter that came on the saw. What is the advantage of the other filter? Different cutting conditions?o_O I may have mentioned this before on a different thread but several more knowledgeable people have told me to put a thin bead of grease on the base of the air filter to make a better seal where it sits on the air box/ carb. of the saw.:) I'm anxious to get some colder weather to try that cold weather cover on the saw & see if it solves the bog hesitation/ stall problem like Spike said.

I am running 20LPX full chisel right now. I will run the H30 next time I have the saw out and see how it works. I do not believe the sugi bar is narrower kerf. The sugi bar weighs 5/8 ounce more than the narrow kerf laminated bar!

The nylon filter is used in damp conditions like rain or snow. I found if you use this style on the 550xp or my Makita 6421 in dry conditions they let alot of fines through. The fleece filter is for dry weather. If the fleece filter gets wet it will plug up and choke the engine.

Mine has not exhibited any fines leak past the filter seal yet. Maybe it has an updated filter base?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't get a manual with my saw & have had trouble trying to download it on Husqvarna's site. Are we supposed to be greasing anything on the saw besides the bar tip?o_O

Yes, I will post it up with some pics this morning.

2manyhounds

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 51104

View attachment 51103
We run a lot of these little saws at work. Warm start = high idle with brake set. If you're not cutting shut it down,don't just set it to the side for 2 minutes to throw brush because they seem to tune to idle if it's done often enough,and then you go through the cookie cutting spree to retune. All in all very good saws