Bolens BL125 - Leaf blower - No spark

okrobie

New OPE Member
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Recent yard sale acquisition. AS-IS. Of course it wouldn't start so I bought a new carburetor and installed it, but that didn't help so I put a spark tester (air gap type) on it and guess what no spark. So I ned some help with what to do next. It looks very new so I didn't even suspect a spark issue.

Does anyone know where to look for the coil? Thanks for any and all help.

(Please no questions about not checking the spark before buying the carb. I already have beat myself up over that .)

okrobie

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started to open it up and the first thing I see is the ignition rocker switch, so I decided to test it. Something is very strange. It seems to be a normally closed switch, that is that the rocker is spring loaded so that the "I" position is down as it probably should be. That means that if you want to stop the machine, you push the "0" but when you measure continuity on the switch, and the "I" is spring depressed, you get an open circuit. When you press the "0" you get a closed circuit.

That doesn't make sense to me. I hope my explanation is clear enough to understand.

okrobie

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Removed the switch and replaced it with a jumper, thereby closing the ignition circuit while attempting to start but still no spark. Of course, I tried starting it with the circuit open but still no spark.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would go ahead and open it up to make sure the coil leg to flywheel air gap is correct, should be .015 or so. Make sure your flywheel magnets are still magnetic. If so, then looks like you need a coil.

okrobie

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ferguson, sounds like a plan. I'll do as you say and get back. Regards, Jim