big fat chunks

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
To mill or cookie that is the question
20200526_181348.jpg 20200526_181353.jpg 20200526_181358.jpg 20200526_181407.jpg 20200526_181425.jpg

Three to four foot chunks of old maple with separations everywhere. They can be pinned together or dowels after. Mill them into short short boards for small table tops.... rip cuts would be fast and smooth with the mill. Chains are ready for both.
Besides cookies or short slabs what else would they be good for but giant bowl blanks maybe?

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bucked up some "almost" straight slightly knotty white oak that was much better quality then that....make friends with a "busier" tree service guy....they'll bury you in big wood
You are 100% correct there and they'll bring you their saws for maintenance

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All that has been considered.

Asplund and Nelsons have already been informed. They will have my timber frame sticks coming down in two weeks. They marked all the sticks that lean for line maintenance two weeks ago. Got it ckeared with fhe bosses last week. They are currently working four zones I frequent. Doing all the brush and top first.

Not ready to haul the real big stuffs whole on a daily basis yet. The fork lift needs a tilt ram fixed and the big trailer needs tires. The big winch gets installed with an arch. That will help a lot. After that I can safely move big stuffs muhself. If I go real big another trailer will be needed with triples under it.

This won't be maple firewood. I don't burn maple. It will get blocked up at the least. Plenty of wood workers who want maple around here. Plenty of board feet there for all sorts of projects. These chunks are in no hurry to leave. Wait till you see the stuff I'm cutting for arched trusses or beams. Was told, "It's all trash... firewood in fact." Yeah right curved 28" maple 27'... sure firewood :rolleyes:

Thanks but you guys were the wrong group to ask about chunks of maple. This could have been slab cut on site before they cut it in three. The guys stopped by yesterday about saw work and having me take care of this big stuff they hate to deal with. Going to take them from standing sticks to all gone. I do the clean up. No big deal.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All that has been considered.

Thanks but you guys were the wrong group to ask about chunks of maple. This could have been slab cut on site before they cut it in three. The guys stopped by yesterday about saw work and having me take care of this big stuff they hate to deal with. Going to take them from standing sticks to all gone. I do the clean up. No big deal.

"When your a hammer....all the World looks like a nail..."

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Five bolts in that mfer... yard tree. Dog runs and cloths line eye bolts. Very easy to miss. Seriously though if your afraid to tear up chains just give up milling Deets. My first black walnut job I cut through two 1/4" spikes to finish the book case match cut. He knew it had metal in it... so did I. The wood was worth it to him. His next three custom tables for his house. Idk... its just chain. You would be surprised at what I can cut with H chain. Different opinions about milling. The more chains I wreck the more money I'll make.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Five bolts in that mfer... yard tree. Dog runs and cloths line eye bolts. Very easy to miss. Seriously though if your afraid to tear up chains just give up milling Deets. My first black walnut job I cut through two 1/4" spikes to finish the book case match cut. He knew it had metal in it... so did I. The wood was worth it to him. His next three custom tables for his house. Idk... its just chain. You would be surprised at what I can cut with H chain. Different opinions about milling. The more chains I wreck the more money I'll make.
Wood is easy to come by, my time is worth more than trying to mill through steel infested maple

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Steel infested maple and other old stuff usual has the best colors if the nails were old and it has fungus within the wood. I like iron stained oak to and will be saving some of that for the timber frame. Anything but plain wood is always my goal. I look, I learn and access the time vs bf. It's all still practise this year. Ready to go commercial so samples are needed to build my inventory. I hit very few nails overall. Have wasted two chains on fence posts in the tree. No way to ever find them till you do.

If I don't cut a few nails their won't be any extra moolah for more cool tools like deep scan metal detectors and a better moisture meter. The better pair will be a grand. About time to update my cheap stuff. These could pay for one. They were free and delivery.

Wait till you see this yard cherry I'm slabbing up. It will have nails, I'm sure and well worth cutting them.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wood is easy to come by, my time is worth more than trying to mill through steel infested maple
Maybe my time isn't worth what yours is. I came back from nothing... no business, no building, no help, no nothing. Just me and a few good tools. Let me rephrase that for you... your time is worth far more than mine.

If the chunks are no good for artist they will be cooking oven wood. I see a little profit either way and it's better than nothing. Having little capital and no credit keeps me from buying top quality logs. Things will get better and so will the wood but until then we work with what we have. That and they will be set aside for right now. I have much better wood to be sawn right now like spalted maple, ambrosia maple, flame maple and cherry, burl cherry, splated quilted cherry and figured white oak. All that has to wait till the kiln is built. Starting that adventure soon.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have 3 employees. Me, myself and I...[emoji2957][emoji1787]
Ive met that "me" guy...he sucks.... :D

"myself" and "I"- I can't offer an opinion on....but reading their posts tells me their good guys...

luv ya Jeff. Hope all is well up yonder....Hope we all get together in the fall