Best way to make 3x6s with Alaskan mill

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I tensioner is sorted out for now. Now I setting up to mill 3x6s. Odd size yes but at or close to those dimensions I can rip 3” cuts on my table saw and 6” on my bandsaw.

This is my first attempt at lumber with the Alaskan mill. Only slabs before now. My plans is to cut slabs at 3” thick. Then restack them all together on their long edge and clamp them together then mill with 6” thick cuts.

Is this a good plan? How would you tackle this job? Thanks for your feedback.
Evan

Attachments

• 8279257B-80DE-43A0-A078-F56FA9485A4B.jpeg
    8279257B-80DE-43A0-A078-F56FA9485A4B.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 14

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never milled with a chain saw but own a band and circular mill. The biggest obstacle that I can see is that you have no way of clamping them to prevent movement. With a circular mill you have a head block and dog to hold the boards in place, my band mill has toe boards and log clamps.

Though I own an edger, I will often stack multiple boards vertically on my band mill and then slice them. I will typically square the top and then flip them so I have a finished edge on the bottom and can cut them to the proper dimensions.

Without a jig and some type of clamp I think you risk the boards leaning out to the side and not having a square edge.

Last edited:

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have never milled with a chain saw but own a band an circular mill. The biggest obstacle that I can see is that you have no way of clamping them to prevent movement. With a circular mill you have a head block and dog to hold the boards in place, my band mill has toe boards and log clamps.

Though I own an edger, I will often stack multiple boards vertically on my band mill and then slice them. I will typically square the top and then flip them so I have a finished edge on the bottom and can cut them to the proper dimensions.

Without a jig and some type of clamp I think you risk the boards leaning out to the side and not having a square edge.
Good point on keeping everything from moving. I won’t slabs the last 6” or so. I will probably screw some 2x to that part of the tree that’s still down on the ground and maybe screw some right angle braces to the 2x to keep things upright. I have a timber tuff beam cutter but the first run of that to make the vertical cut was difficult, I was not using as intended but rather using ladder as a straight edge. Biggest issues was the cutters running on the U clamp. It’s awkward with such a big saw and bar.

Thanks for the feedback.

evan

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I tensioner is sorted out for now. Now I setting up to mill 3x6s. Odd size yes but at or close to those dimensions I can rip 3” cuts on my table saw and 6” on my bandsaw.

This is my first attempt at lumber with the Alaskan mill. Only slabs before now. My plans is to cut slabs at 3” thick. Then restack them all together on their long edge and clamp them together then mill with 6” thick cuts.

Is this a good plan? How would you tackle this job? Thanks for your feedback.
Evan
It’s a quick way to do it but don’t forget to account for the kerf of the chain when you stack them and do the final cuts, also it will be tough to hold them all stacked together.
I would slab up your 3” thick slabs with the mill but to do the rest accurately your going to need a straight edge and a an 8.25” circular saw to get rid of the first side of the live edge. You will have a nice and straight cut and then you can use your table saw with the fence on your square edge of the slab, to rip through the rest of that slab.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s a quick way to do it but don’t forget to account for the kerf of the chain when you stack them and do the final cuts, also it will be tough to hold them all stacked together.
I would slab up your 3” thick slabs with the mill but to do the rest accurately your going to need a straight edge and a an 8.25” circular saw to get rid of the first side of the live edge. You will have a nice and straight cut and then you can use your table saw with the fence on your square edge of the slab, to rip through the rest of that slab.
My rough math has my 24”x3”x11’ slab weighing in at 200-300 pounds. They really need to cut into 100 pound or smalls cants for me to a carry out. Thought about the big circ saw. Didn’t see a use for it after this project. Just checked I can rent a 16” beam saw for 50$ a day. If I can cut slabs to 6” thick then jack or wedge them up to rip the 3” wide cuts would save my back and be much more stable way to cut them. Don’t know it it would be faster but would be physically easier. I have generator so I don’t have to run 250’ of cord to a 15amp saw. I’ll have to give this some thought.

Evan

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There was no way to stack the slabs on edge all together and cut again with the Alaska mill. Ended up using a 2x4 guide and a timber tuff beam cutter. Plus or minus 1/2”. Not really super square. I didn’t like the cheap beam cutter. This job is done timbers are strapped and stickered. I need another stack about this size so I’m going to have a chance to do it better next time.

Attachments

• 4C20EE28-064B-423C-97FC-DA3C7F897508.jpeg
    4C20EE28-064B-423C-97FC-DA3C7F897508.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 0006C652-4728-4D47-ADB7-EB24AB993ECC.jpeg
    0006C652-4728-4D47-ADB7-EB24AB993ECC.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 38238184-5B1F-4D2E-B678-64D21C5DCF54.jpeg
    38238184-5B1F-4D2E-B678-64D21C5DCF54.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 11