Best way to clean a lathe

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the easiest way to clean off the little shavings and aluminum grit? Or do I just leave it a mess?

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the easiest way to clean off the little shavings and aluminum grit? Or do I just leave it a mess?
It’s always a pain cleaning a lathe with non ferrous materials.

Vacuums are a pain because the hose gets clogged. I usually just use a disposable towel and toss the chips and towel into the trash.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A chip pan does wonders for catching everything that falls down, a paint brush can help facilitate that happening, followed with a rag to wipe it down. A person should refrain from using compressed air, so as not to get dirt into where you can't see. I have been guilty a time or two of this breech in lathe cleaning etiquette as it is fast and easy. After everything is all squeaky clean, now is a good time to oil down the ways, so you're ready to work.
The manufacturer of your lathe should have directions available on care and maintenance of your machine for best results.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep the oil passages clear. Those flecks of hard plating from the cylinder combustion chamber cuts, are just the sort of hard nasties, that like to sneak under the saddle and scar the ways so easily.
They''ll slowly leave marks, that resemble piston scoring, on the ways. if not kept cleared out.

Need a bit of oil in the holes ,each time, to help flush them out somewhat.
oil it, roll it back and forth a couple times and wipe off that metal flake looking swarf that shows up from underneath the saddle on the ways.
repeat the oil and wipe a "couple" times till oil looks clean from under the saddle.
rusty stuff is harsh too (much like lapping compound) do a same/similar method with the oil as above till clean oil shows.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I had a Myford lathe I made a way protector to keep swarf and shavings off the ways. Its a narrow strip of rubber sheet fastened to the carriage that sits under the tool, right in the zone where the swarf is produced. There is one shown here, much fancier than mine.

Also make sure that your way wipers are in good order. Or fit some if your lathe doesn't have them. Some people like felt as it soaks up oil and spreads it on the ways. Some people like rubber or plastic as it keeps the ways spotless.

petryss

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use old tooth brushes or cheap soft bristle paint brushes with a little solvent wipe it down and give it a light coat of oil.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in a little different situation with my Monarch 10 EE .It has flame hardened chrome plated ways and it self oils from the saddle plus it has a chip tray . They thought of just about every thing when they made it .However it does have a problem with chips on the taper attatchment. The last sold of that model was over 100 thousand dollars .I paid $800 for mine that was brand new in1956 . However the poor old lathe has a tube type DC power source on the blink you cannot find the componets to repair it .I have a new solid state controller I can't seem to find the time to install . Too many irons in the fire .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More on that lathe which is rated by some to be the finest toolmakers lathe ever built .The originals used a motor generator to make the DC and a three HP DC motor .Later it was redesigned for 5 HP with a vacuum tube DC drive .Much later to 7.5 HP using a solid state DC source .Monarch as company is no longer in business .Made in Sidney Ohio and I've been there about 30 miles south of me .Some concern will upgrade an older machine to DC servo drive and I think maybe10 HP which is twice more than it needs and 25 or more grand to do the up grade .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a cut down paint brush and way oil, just before I use it . It’s going to get chips on it again, and I’m spreading a good coat of fresh oil on it.

I keep two low profile baking trays under it to catch swarf and drips, and usually vacuum up everything once or twice a year