kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been using my husky t525 for a long time, fits in my rear cargo quite nice, very light too.
Problem is, lack of power. Good for cutting a log out of the way of a trail, but if I were to try and make some half assed milled running boards, say to cross a mud pit, not happening.
To be expected it’s 25ccs

I just recently threw the the 562xp in the back with a 16” bar, the smallest I could find. But it’s heavy.
So besides telling me I’m being too whiny about it, what do you all use for your trail brush cutting? maybe I just need a mount that makes the saw more easily accessible?

Ideas, thoughts please share :)

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used an MS250, which wore the factory 18” bar and .325 chain. I think a 14” or 16” bar would have been better. I later used an MS192t which is I would use (201T) if I were still doing a bunch of trail riding.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good for cutting a log out of the way of a trail, but if I were to try and make some half assed milled running boards, say to cross a mud pit, not happening.
Sounds like 2 different saws, for 2 different tasks to me. Could also use a pole saw for overhead clearance?

Philbert

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old 61 on my front rack 20" bar

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that is about 4x faster than my 525t lol
I wonder if the 525t could be ported for similar gains?

Not sure. I’ve not done one before. Those wee echos are probably the most popular saw I do here. They’re just awesome for the weight. If I was climbing trees that’s what I’d be using.

I’m going to get the rear handle version for my firewood pile. It’s an ugly little thing but the power to weight wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my 330T Echo to clear brush , 10" bar with Forester full chisel LP3/8ths . After gutting the cat from the muffler i think it would pull a 16" bar just fine. A modified MS180 might suit too?

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been using my husky t525 for a long time, fits in my rear cargo quite nice, very light too.
Problem is, lack of power. Good for cutting a log out of the way of a trail, but if I were to try and make some half assed milled running boards, say to cross a mud pit, not happening.
To be expected it’s 25ccs

I just recently threw the the 562xp in the back with a 16” bar, the smallest I could find. But it’s heavy.
So besides telling me I’m being too whiny about it, what do you all use for your trail brush cutting? maybe I just need a mount that makes the saw more easily accessible?

Ideas, thoughts please share :)
I always carried a 200t or 201t or a 20inch saw. Figured if I couldn't get through with that, I was coming back with reinforcements anyway.

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best one is the one which isn't super expensive, isn't needlessly huge/awkward, and is reliable & efficient.

You never know when you may have so sacrifice the saw for some crazy purpose/end-goal. Or what happens if you roll or swamp the quad....saw is going with it. Last thing you need is some prized antique or $1000 500i getting ruined.

My quad saw is a 351 with 16" bar. Cheap and cheerful and can perform all the jobbers you'd run in to while out on the trail; and at the same time doesn't take up too much space or weight on the rack. I got the saw cheapy cheap as a rebuilder, put money in where it counts (seals, bearings, carb kit, ring, starter rope, intake clamp, etc)...didn't spend a lot, it's still a ugly bush saw... But I'm into the thing for <$200, it starts and runs properly every time, and if anything happened to it oh well so be it, not gonna cry over $200.

I think 50cc & less is about the right idea, and you can get a lot of work done with a 16" bar.... even 14"... so what if you have to cut larger deadfalls from either side....this ain't the Logger Olympics. Gear on the quad is all about SPACE and WEIGHT. Top handles seem to be popular too....fine choice as long as you're not breaking the bank for it.

I guess there's a good argument for a battery saw as well (yeah yeah I know, sacrilege!! :demon7::demon7:) . For how much the quad saw may actually get used in any one outing it may not be the worst idea.. especially with a spare battery.. which is easier to pack than spare mix fuel. Only issue now is you have a potentially expensive toy on your bike. And the fuel argument could be negated too if you only carried around a very small bottle of pre-mixed.

I dunno.... definitely more than one way to skin this cat. Obviously this is all just my opinion. Good gas options to me are like 346xp, MS170/017 or 180, 351/350, 42special, 353

Last edited:

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking a ms400 with a 20" bar for my ATV. Maybe I should rethink this..

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you mention mud, that means to me maybe water might be involved, including submerging it, so, I would skip the battery powered stuff if so. Especially if "oil country" is Texas since if you read the instructions to the various battery powered saws, they can not charge when over 100 degrees. At least on the various Ryobi, Atlas, battery systems etc.

> make some half assed milled running boards

Stihl MS-180 CBE would be capable of this and is fairly light and compact. The best thing is they are easy to start. They have one design flaw, the connection for the on/off switch slips off and results in not being able to turn it off until you put it back on. You have to pull the plug. Still, I have bought three of them over the years and for under $250 it is probably one of the lightest and best saws to buy. Though I was impressed by a customer's MS-170 I fixed when I did a head to head with it against a bunch of home owner saws, it really pulled when doing 10" oak and just felt nice to use.

Now, if you have a 12v power port and have money to blow, then this might be a good solution:

M12 and M18 12-Volt/18-Volt Lithium-Ion Multi-Voltage 12V DC Vehicle Battery Charger
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-Vehicle-Battery-Charger-48-59-1810/301809847

M18 FUEL 16 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Chainsaw (Tool-Only) with Replacement 16 in. Chainsaw Chain
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...n-Chainsaw-Chain-2727-20-49-16-2715/315705997

This Milwaukee saw comes with a chain brake, which I consider a must have on any saw. You do not need to carry extra gas for the saw, it is instant on, and far quieter then a gas powered saw, if that is important to you.

I went the Ryobi 18+ eco-system just because their 12v car charger was so cheap and having a battery powered sawzall on the road means a lot to me. Not just for trimming branches and cutting down small trees, but, for cutting up metal stuff in the middle of no where. I recently bought a log splitter at an auction and the only way I could get it in my trailer was cutting the axle with the Ryobi. It took 5+ solid minutes and some 10w-30 oil, but, I cut through the 3" x 1/4" axle tube so I could fit the 16" I beam log splitter into my u-haul trailer. In the middle of a field with no 120v available.

So, if you think having access to battery powered tools might be handy on a trail, such as a sawzall, impact wrench (good for lags at least), and drill, them maybe the battery powered saw would appeal to you.

I do not know about the Red label, but, the green one has a bunch of battery powered fans, including a 2400 CFM box fan. Which you might find useful along with the hand held LED lamps if camping in the middle of nowhere while building something.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS180, lots of stihl dealers if you need one.
Echo CS-352, easy to start, reliable and light, but less dealers if
or when you need one.

I like Echo, but our of these I would take the MS180.