High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Beginner put bar oil in an Echo CS590 cleaned but not running correctly

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
1:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Dear readers, I am total newbie and I put bar oil in the gas tank of a newer Echo CS590 saw it ran for 15 sec. then died then I realized what I did.

I emptied the tank,then filled with gas 3x swirled it around and dumped the gas (about 1/3-1/2 full of gas). I then took the carburetor off and removed the top and bottom and sprayed carb cleaner best I could. I do not have an air compressor where I am located.

I put it back together then spent a good 5 hours trying to figure out why the choke kept springing back finally found out the keyed linkage has to be flipped to work.

The saw would start and run for up to 20 sec then dies. I can't restart once it dies but if I wait 10-20 min it will start again then die. I then took the carb off again, I took it apart a bit further, then replaced the fuel filter the gas spurts out (pressurized I believe I read) and again sprayed carb cleaner on the parts and passages best I could. I believe the needjet or jet valve (don't know what it's called the pointy jet with a rubber tip. The tip had some dirt and I sprayed into the hole.

Same results so I just dropped 100.00 on an OEM echo carb and another 15.00 on a rebuild kit and another 400 on another echo saw (this is for my partner) sort of pissed off about the money today but she has 7.5 acres and about 200-400 trees. Need about 50 more cut Anyway... I'm really not sure what to do next. The saw is about 9 months old used it 4 days total I need a service manual if you have one or some help...

Thanks, David

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dear readers, I am total newbie and I put bar oil in the gas tank of a newer Echo CS590 saw it ran for 15 sec. then died then I realized what I did.

I emptied the tank,then filled with gas 3x swirled it around and dumped the gas (about 1/3-1/2 full of gas). I then took the carburetor off and removed the top and bottom and sprayed carb cleaner best I could. I do not have an air compressor where I am located.

I put it back together then spent a good 5 hours trying to figure out why the choke kept springing back finally found out the keyed linkage has to be flipped to work.

The saw would start and run for up to 20 sec then dies. I can't restart once it dies but if I wait 10-20 min it will start again then die. I then took the carb off again, I took it apart a bit further, then replaced the fuel filter the gas spurts out (pressurized I believe I read) and again sprayed carb cleaner on the parts and passages best I could. I believe the needjet or jet valve (don't know what it's called the pointy jet with a rubber tip. The tip had some dirt and I sprayed into the hole.

Same results so I just dropped 100.00 on an OEM echo carb and another 15.00 on a rebuild kit and another 400 on another echo saw (this is for my partner) sort of pissed off about the money today but she has 7.5 acres and about 200-400 trees. Need about 50 more cut Anyway... I'm really not sure what to do next. The saw is about 9 months old used it 4 days total I need a service manual if you have one or some help...

Thanks, David
Welcome to the site
Did you
Get the carb kit itself wet with carb cleaner?
The cleaner will damage the carb kit

Hammer down on the passages of the carb with
Pressurized cleaner?

The pressure can damage the carb itself
You have to gently use carb cleaner.

Did you thoroughly clean the fuel line of residual oil before installing new carb?

Are you sure you put the original carb kit back in the correct order?

Did you adjust the new carb to correct settings?

Did you change the plug just as a precaution?

Take some good pics of the original carb with the plates off.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you bought another 590 swap its carb on to yours to check the new carb is good to go.

@huskihl @Stump Shot @beaglebriar got anything?

My 590 was flawless for 7 year's and is still running

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks, David
Hi David. Welcome to OPE. Good to have you here. I see you’re a fellow CT resident.
I’m sure you’ll get your saw sorted with the help of the members here.
There’s a lot of combined knowledge amongst us. You’ve already got some some good advice, and I’m sure other members will come along as well.

I moved your thread over to the general chainsaw pages. It’ll get more views there.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had numerous saw's come to me with this affliction. I've never had to do anything more than drain put fuel in it and get running to clear out.
If it's smoking when you start it, it might be still digesting some bar oil yet possibly. Otherwise backtrack into what you took apart, something might not have been put back together exactly as it was when it came apart.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks, David
Check your inbox for a service manual and carb bulletin

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like stuff is still gummed up. I'd back flush the fuel line and tank vent with carb cleaner. Pull the fuel filter out of the tank, remove it from the fuel line and douche it out with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. I prefer brake cleaner but carb cleaner is better than nothing.

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks to all that posted, I did not adjust any of the screws, I did spray the carb pretty well with carb cleaner. One of you mentioned the cleaner will damage the carb but not sure why. Are you referring to the rubber gaskets? I didn't spray them directly, only the carb body. I own an older Yamaha 2 stroke and raced dirt bikes all 2 strokes so I understand the basics of the engine but the little saw carbs are different. I ordered the rebuild kit and an replacement carb OEM due to my GF being impatient and just a pain.

The replacement saw (or backup) is a 50cc vs the 60cc we have so not sure it would be a straight swap all the items won't arrive until next week not understanding amazon around here in LA it's 1 day. I did not buy another plug originally the plug was dry so I knew it was not getting gas, now it's wet when I pull it out I gapped it the stock ngk but never found out for sure what echo recommends.

I don't have any of the fancy plug testers I've read about I live in Los Angeles, but I saw a spark but not much however, I had to put two screw drivers in the to get contact (it flops around) but since I get it running on the 2-3rd kick I figure it's fine. We're in a little town unlike LA so I have trouble popping over to get little things like plugs.

One of you mentioned the vent and hose being clogged so how do I check for that, you're referring to the hose going out of the carb is there something else I could check?

Very appreciative for the help guys!!! Best Dave

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost sounds like you could be flooding it.

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
BTW on taking the carb apart I was pretty careful taking one side off then the other but since I screwed up the choke link maybe you're right but I took it apart 2x what I don't understand is once you take the t shaped item off and the spring and one jet there doesn't seem to be more to remove. I need to find a carb manual

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carbs different
Thanks to all that posted, I did not adjust any of the screws, I did spray the carb pretty well with carb cleaner. One of you mentioned the cleaner will damage the carb but not sure why. Are you referring to the rubber gaskets? I didn't spray them directly, only the carb body. I own an older Yamaha 2 stroke and raced dirt bikes all 2 strokes so I understand the basics of the engine but the little saw carbs are different. I ordered the rebuild kit and an replacement carb OEM due to my GF being impatient and just a pain.

The replacement saw (or backup) is a 50cc vs the 60cc we have so not sure it would be a straight swap all the items won't arrive until next week not understanding amazon around here in LA it's 1 day. I did not buy another plug originally the plug was dry so I knew it was not getting gas, now it's wet when I pull it out I gapped it the stock ngk but never found out for sure what echo recommends.

I don't have any of the fancy plug testers I've read about I live in Los Angeles, but I saw a spark but not much however, I had to put two screw drivers in the to get contact (it flops around) but since I get it running on the 2-3rd kick I figure it's fine. We're in a little town unlike LA so I have trouble popping over to get little things like plugs.

One of you mentioned the vent and hose being clogged so how do I check f

One of you mentioned the vent and hose being clogged so how do I check for that, you're referring to the hose going out of the carb is there something else I could check?

Very appreciative for the help guys!!! Best Dave
Carbs won't interchange don't mess with it.

Here's the tank vent.com.google.Chrome.jpg it's the white puck clean it and the fuel line and filter very well.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd hold it wfo no choke and pull start it to see if it's just flooded with oil in the cylinder.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Reason for not blasting carb cleaner full force it is that you might....will probably......blow the check valve disc right out of it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad at over 80 years old oiled the gas twice in one week ,PM 610 McCulloch .Back then WD 40 used propane as a propellant .I just drained the tank and ran it on WD-40 sprayed through the carb until it cleared out .
Several things most people will do at least once.Oil the gas,put a chain on backwards and cut dirt .Some will deny it most won't .

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello group, today I went out and took the carb off and took it apart one thing I noticed, I did not put the (what I'll call the float, hinged part that holds the needle valve with a spring) I did have that fork installed incorrectly, I cleaned it out (the carb) I pulled the vent out of the tank took it apart maybe the foam had oil in it but I cleaned it and the foam looked much larger. I was careful to look at the gaskets and see if I did something incorrectly but the holes match up with the carb body. I sprayed the cleaner (brake and carb into the hoses/jets I not at full blast but I saw fluid coming out.

I was 100% sure it would work and hell no, it would only start with starter fluid, or I poured some gas down and it ran and it runs high RPM for 10 sec. then dies.... being a lefty I'm having issues with starting it as I do it from the other side I can't get the right hand to pull correctly anyway, I'm not getting gas flowing it will start on the 3-4 kick then run 3-8 sec. then dies then I cannot start it for a 10 min. but to be honest, I don't have the right muscles or lack of muscles to pull at the speed you need so I'm not sure if I'm just being weak and not able to give it 7-8 strong pulls or if something is still wrong. I'm going to re-read the posts and try to narrow this down. I can't understand how I can hold the throttle wfo and start it when I have to hold the saw with one hand and pull maybe a zip tie which I will try now. I'm not kidding you guys I'm getting really pissed off because I'm not that stupid, and I'm not as weak as it seems in this situation... but damn I don't get this issue. The carb has only 3-4 parts I might go ahead and replace the hoses.... jesus