Bar And Chain Length Vs. Powerhead

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let's say we are going to use the same powerhead for two different B/C lengths.

A nicely built 036/361 just for giggles.

Just for sake of argument:
The "books" may say that the correct b/c combo for 36 series saw is up to 20".
Fine.............
We install a 20" bar and go happily cutting away in 18" Oak.

What is the difference if I have a 24" bar installed, and I go happily cutting away in 18" oak?

Sure, there is 4" of extra b/c hanging out and the hp that it takes to pull 4" of b/c.

Does it really make that much difference?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an echo 50 cc that i have a 24 on it but i dont cut much more then 18 inch wood most the time. Its more just to save from bending over when bucking. I dont really notice much difference if any.
707c6990a0fd96bbc9649ca1d2b396f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Longer bars have more friction pulling chain, which will reduce performance when measured in a test fixture, but may not be noticable in practical use.

Longer bars require more oil output for the same amount of lubrication.

Longer bars will put more stress on the chain loop via tension (like a longer rope more likely to break under its own weight).

Most of these will not be an issue if you are just talking a small amount, and not using the full length of the bar (e.g. the example of cutting 18" log with 24" bar). But there will always be tradeoffs. If that saw could really pull a longer bar, without issue, it would seem to the manufacturer's advantage to rate it that way?

Philbert

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you only need as much oil as the wood wipes away, otherwise it will just build up on the unused parts of the bar. Other than more stress from weight or leverage on the AV system, and the chain tensioner too, I don't really see a problem with using a long bar on a small saw to cut small wood. I know 28" and bigger weighs heavy on a squishy Echo 590 AV system let alone the leverage required to bury the tip in wood.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you only need as much oil as the wood wipes away, otherwise it will just build up on the unused parts of the bar. Other than more stress from weight or leverage on the AV system, and the chain tensioner too, I don't really see a problem with using a long bar on a small saw to cut small wood. I know 28" and bigger weighs heavy on a squishy Echo 590 AV system let alone the leverage required to bury the tip in wood.

I feel the same way on the oil front.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't get wood wipes away. Oil is coming from bar groove to lubricate chain rivets and bar rails to reduce wear and heat. Run a bar without oil and don't your rails roll?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find most saws do best with about 2" less than whatever is factory. My 50cc Dolmar and Echo are 18", 40cc Echo and Husky are 16", 30cc Echo is 14". It's not a matter of gaining speed or anything, they just seem to be more nimble that way. Also, If I have to cut with the nose then a somewhat shorter bar works better for me at least.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't get wood wipes away. Oil is coming from bar groove to lubricate chain rivets and bar rails to reduce wear and heat. Run a bar without oil and don't your rails roll?
If there were no oil losses, there would be no need for an oil tank; just pour on a little oil, and run a tank of gas. But probably half the oil flies off the tip, and the other half is soaked up and wiped off by sawdust. Saw dust does find its way into the bar groove, and can suck that part dry too.

RedTilDead92

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you would be fine as long as you know the limitations of the powerhead...

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 278998
A man's got to know his limitations . . . .

Philbert
One night we were at hunting camp. Mt Dad had enough and was heading for bed. We said "have one more beer, Dad". He said no. WEll I said: "am man's got to know his limitations". He said:" you son of a *b-word", sat down and drank one more beer.