Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A2065B9A-1F43-4E8E-9ED8-C9ADC71AF146.jpeg 05AB3962-C7B2-461E-875A-F610E4B12E33.jpeg Anyone had this happen? This is the 3rd in a row for me... and yes, they say CHINA right on them. But they always have and I haven’t seen them give this kind of trouble before.

Looks like a manufacturing defect as straight as the break is. And all of them have broken this way. At least my supplier has exchanged them without any trouble.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a couple do the came. Likewise were replaced.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 341896 View attachment 341897 Anyone had this happen? This is the 3rd in a row for me... and yes, they say CHINA right on them. But they always have and I haven’t seen them give this kind of trouble before.

Looks like a manufacturing defect as straight as the break is. And all of them have broken this way. At least my supplier has exchanged them without any trouble.
What brand are those Loony? I know a lot of guys setting pipe in trench boxes with that style of choker. Thx

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What brand are those Loony? I know a lot of guys setting pipe in trench boxes with that style of choker. Thx

I’ll try and find out today. I’m surprised anyone would use a choker like this for lifting.. I can see the convenience, but with my background (very little bit) with overhead crane work, I’m surprised that’s even allowed with all the approved straps and lifting chains, etc.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a couple do the came. Likewise were replaced.
Like a lot of things, they aren’t being made like they used to.. I might try the Golden Bell brand next if they can’t get me any of these to hold together anymore.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I called my supplier and he told me they are LiftPro branded chokers.. whether or not the while choker is made in country or foreign, I’m not sure, but the red bell, or hook, is stamped China.

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll try and find out today. I’m surprised anyone would use a choker like this for lifting.. I can see the convenience, but with my background (very little bit) with overhead crane work, I’m surprised that’s even allowed with all the approved straps and lifting chains, etc.
Yes, I here you on that. But residential building projects are not as strictly regulated as should for sure.

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning @Loony661
Just curious if LiftPro ever responded or showed any interest in diagnosing failure?
Not trying to be a nosy Rosey.
Thx.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning @Loony661
Just curious if LiftPro ever responded or showed any interest in diagnosing failure?
Not trying to be a nosy Rosey.
Thx.
I was just thinking about this while in the woods yesterday. Of course I forgot to look into it when I got home.. They never emailed me back. I’ll try and remember to give them a call this week. And no worries, I appreciate the reminder!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I broke 2 more just like this today. 1 was on its very first hook.. And no, I haven’t called yet. I’ve been very busy. I’ll get these exchanged next week after the rain rolls through and then try and put a call in.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know where to buy just the thimble/eye and stop? I have lots of cable and crimping equipment. Thanks

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another update: I exchanged 3 more that failed like this at my local supply house where I have been buying them. I had a talk with the parts salesman about the safety aspect of this beyond the inconvenience of the constant failures. He mentioned to me that they have had more failures like this in the last few months than they ever had previously combined. I was pretty firm that he should contact LiftPro and let them know what’s going on. He said he would. At this point I have to trust that he will find out what is going on, and they, as a retailer/distributor have a much better chance at getting the information “inside” compared to me. I’ll follow up when I hear back.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know where to buy just the thimble/eye and stop? I have lots of cable and crimping equipment. Thanks
Hey David, if you're still looking for choker bells I think I could probably rustle up a couple for you. A buddy who's an ex-logger and scrapper has a milk crate full of them as I recall, I can see if he'd get rid of them. Or, Wescovan.com carries a bunch of chokers and choker parts, they might be able to help. Their complete chokers aren't priced too terribly either.