Axe Handle Grip

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious as I often times see fellers that have tape near the bottom of their handles. Just curious as to why they do this, if it’s just to prevent slippage and what tape they use, I assume maybe a hockey tape? Wondering if any fellers on here can offer some advices. Thanks in advance.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're meaning at the head end, it's to protect the handle from damage while splitting

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a not-so cheap Link straight haft for a wedge beater that had almost no “swell” at the end so I built it up using electrical tape. As for other guys, it’ll vary from person to person but usually it’s for extra grip or because the haft is cracked. You can use electrical tape or cloth tape, hockey tape will probably work but I’ve seen plain utilitarian cloth tape used as well. You’d be amazed at how long a cracked haft will stay together if it’s been taped up.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Chainmale I was actually referencing more to the end of their handle where they would grip. It just often times looks built up, almost like the end of a baseball bat to just alleviate their hand slipping off.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it's called palm swell. To aid in controlling your axe against slippage. Some haft also have a curve in em. Mainly on single bits.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses and clarity. I like the pine pitch idea as mentioned, free is for me.