Avoiding problem fuel?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you avoid problem fuel for your 4 cycle equipment and chain saws, etc.?

I must be getting water in the fuel somehow. I dumped out the fuel from my chain saw into the four cycle gas can. I wonder how much a problem this is? The Husky chain saw ran fine after that. My log splitter runs for a while then sounds like it is running out of gas when it isn't. Not sure if that is a fuel issue.

The old Gravely tractors had a glass jar underneath the gas tank; prevented many of these problems.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well,
I use only recreational fuel, aka ethanol free pump fuel, from a busy station, in my mowers and snow blower. I use VP racing 94 or Sunoco 95 canned fuel in my 2 strokes mixed with my oil of choice. None of my equipment is stored outside or in a metal shed. Concrete floor garage and Wooden floor shed. I burn up all pump fuel within a year and use PRI-G stabilizer year around in said pump fuel. Never a water issue for me. Hope this helps. In all honesty, I think not storing it outside in the weather is the best protection from moisture unless you are getting bad fuel from the pump.

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just emptied my zero turn mower gas tank and carb of water. After the water was gone The mower ran like a top.
Don't let your fuel sit too long if it's 10% ethanol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some things that help:

Use only non-ethanol gas. No ethanol ever.

Store it in metal cans kept under cover or indoors.

If you store gas longer than a few months, rotate it through your vehicle and replace with fresh gas at least that often.

Make up your pre-mix in batches that will get used in 4-6 weeks maximum.

if you need to store your equipment fueled, fill the tank so there’s little air in the tank.

If you use your equipment everyday the above may not matter, but I would still use only pure gas.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use only premixed ethanol-free 2-stroke fuel in chainsaws and weed whackers. I'm not commercial, so the price doesn't kill me. But the equipment runs beautifully.
Have used VP Premix at 50:1 and Echo brand Red Armor fuel. Both have long shelf life, and keep your stuff running well. Red Armor is now ridiculously expensive, Echo boosted the price by 35 per cent recently since the beginning of last summer. So, I'll be making the trek to places that sell VP fuels.

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some things that help:

Use only non-ethanol gas. No ethanol ever.

Store it in metal cans kept under cover or indoors.

If you store gas longer than a few months, rotate it through your vehicle and replace with fresh gas at least that often.

Make up your pre-mix in batches that will get used in 4-6 weeks maximum.

if you need to store your equipment fueled, fill the tank so there’s little air in the tank.

If you use your equipment everyday the above may not matter, but I would still use only pure gas.
The worse thing you can do is introduce water from gas into a fuel injected system.
How would I know?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk