Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been looking at some different readers and can't decide which way to go. I have looked at Autoenginuity and don't really want to spend the coin for what work I do on my own and family's vehicles. About $250 for the tool and then another $200 for each auto group would add up way to quick. Would kind of like to keep pricing under $300 or so. I need to do some more reading, like to have something that is compatible with 7.3 ps so as to do buzz test if necessary and have now added a Honda to the fleet. What are you guys using for your home garage/shade tree type setups?

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Autel is with looking in to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've been looking into some of their stuff. Then the question arises as to whether to bump up to a bi-directional or not. But again more money, but a larger coverage of car makes and functions.

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We demoed Launch and Autel flagship scan tools at the shop for several weeks. The Autel is a little better value but the Launch has some unique abilities. Of course you have to purchase additional interfaces to take advantage of them.
Just before we made a buying decision, GM made a deal with Bosch for software that allows us to use our current hardware.
I've been told that Autel builds some scan tools for Harbor Freight. That might be worth looking into.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one of these on the cheap.
Screenshot_20191123-045018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

And use the Torque Lite app from the play store and have been pretty happy with it.

Not sure if this helps but thought I'd post it anyways.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one of these on the cheap.
View attachment 209087

And use the Torque Lite app from the play store and have been pretty happy with it.

Not sure if this helps but thought I'd post it anyways.
I looked at some of the bluetooth readers, but decided against them because it would be easier for my dad to use a stand alone. Blue Driver is one of the higher rated ones from the power stroke sites I looked at. I don't have to worry about VW stuff since i have a VCDS.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May just drop the coin and buy an AUTEL MP808 from the bay for $680. Reviews and looking at what systems are supported from their website seems like it will cover what i need.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, HF does carry Autel. It's what I was looking at buying until I found a great deal on an older Modis.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been using what was Actron's top of the line machine in 2007 (Autoscanner Elite or something like that) for over 10 years now. It's very basic: codes and data, no ABS, airbag, or bi-directional. Haven't yet encountered anything I couldn't figure out, even on vehicles newer than 2007. I'll probably get a scan tool with the full works at some point. Rather amazing how today's $300.00 scan tools do as much or more than the Vetronix and Snappy scan tools I used when I was in the business. For a low cost tool, I've always found Actron products to be really good and that's probably where I'll shop. My digital meter is also Actron and works great, have had it for 20 years now.