TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been on two wheels on pavement for a long time, with a couple people we knew passing on from being killed by negligent drivers...Amber and I decided it is time to get off the pavement and into the woods.

That being said, I've got lots of atv experience and used to ride some pretty potent machines. But now I'm looking at either a big 4x4 atv or a side by side. Wanted to see what people were riding and how they like em.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear it. The distractions for cage drivers are only getting worse. I had a close call in '04 with someone that didn't see me that ended on-road two-wheeling for me, at least until the kids are a little older.

Even the "basic" side bys are pretty damn sporty these days, and road legal with restrictions in a lot of places. My Defender HD8 will hit 55 on flat land, and haul close to a face cord of wood(not at the same time). The opinions on belt drives vary, but if I'm using it for work I use low range. I've yet to encounter a situation that demanded 4x4 and the diff lock. It's one of those tools that you never realized how many ways it makes things better.

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I second the hd8. Mine has been absolutely fantastic and will haul a pile of wood. The underseat storage and flat floorboard is also nice.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots have gone way with the SXSs now but I've stayed true to quads as they are right nimble for getting around the woods easily. Honda ranchers or yamaha kodiaks is what I'd look into

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots have gone way with the SXSs now but I've stayed true to quads as they are right nimble for getting around the woods easily. Honda ranchers or yamaha kodiaks is what I'd look into
Right. I'm not disparaging quads at all. Just don't have any recent experience.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good friend has a Polaris RZR turbo 1000 that rips. Neighbor has 3 Polaris atv's 2-6x6's are for work, Ranger (set up for ice fishing, shanty and tracks for winter) is for home. Neither speak bad of them. That RZR turbo was crazy money, I would have built another Jeep up for that much (wish I kept it). I had 2 Suzuki's one 660 and 700EFI, forget the carb 660 and go EFI.

Last edited:

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on the Can-Am.
I have several friends who have them and love them. One couple has a four seat with full cab, heat/AC and power windows. They also added light bars, interior lights, Stereo, back up camera, lift kit, winch, plow.....
They have over $30K in it but damn it's nice.
I have a JD Gator 835I and my wife has a Polaris Ranger 4 seat full cab. My wife wants to get rid of her Ranger and get a Can-am.
The Can-Am machines are much nicer.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Bobcat 3400XL - it's big and slow, but has a high payload (1,700 lb), so it's perfect for me. If you want to have fun, some of my relations have CanAm machines, that are a good workhorse but still plenty sporty. And the Polaris RZR machines are always a ball of fun.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At your cabin? When are you moving there? CCC stands of pine?
That was in the national forest nearby. Lots of pine but there are some gems on the ground here and there.

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@cuinrearview turn your preload adjusters up a notch and it wont sag as much with a load. I did add a windshield to mine too. The only thing I need to do differently, would be some sort of front basket to carry my saws in. As far as sporty goes, the hd8 has plenty of pep, the hd10 has more and will run about 70 mph.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of guys I know have the can ams and enjoy them. I have always had cats but their new line up doesn’t have anything I’d want. I did buy a havoc x when they were being made and really like it. They all have there up sides and down falls. Have to go look at them and test drive them. Problem is they are hard to come by right now

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I should have added I have a 2017 Honda Rubicon TRX 500FM6, it's a foot shift, so there's no automatic, and no belts that can get wet and slip.