Armillaria Root Rot on Oak?

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to figure out what's ailing this Oak and whether it needs to come down. I'd drop it but most of it will end up on my neighbor's property and will be a major pain to clean up. Any help would be appreciated on the best way to handle this. BTW, it's located near wetlands. Thanks.

Attachments

• TrunkDamage - 2.jpg
    TrunkDamage - 2.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 102
  • TrunkDamage - 3.jpg
    TrunkDamage - 3.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 111
  • TrunkDamage - 1.jpg
    TrunkDamage - 1.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 101

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Helpful. The weight of the crown wants to send the tree in the direction of the neighbor's property, so the best I can figure is to find some solid hinge wood to steer it as best I can and get the H*** out of the way. Escape route is nice & clear.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Rope it and pull it where you want it to go. Get a rope up 30ish feet or more and that tree will go exactly where you want it. If you cannot pull it with an atv,truck,tractor, etc. rig up a mechanical advantage system with either block and tackle or english truckers hitches. A come along would be a good idea if pulling without a machine also.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rope it and pull it where you want it to go. <snip>
Like you said, I can't expect much help from the hinge when most of the stem could be rotten, so I figure I'll drop it where it's leaning towards a hole on the neighbor's land. Will have to.spend an hour or so to clear the wood from his property, but I think that's the safest bet.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure what to think. The tree probably could have been OK for a few more years but maybe the rot might have found its way to those nearby. I dunno. Anyway, it's down and went where I wanted it to go. Two more hours of cleanup tomorrow.

Attachments

• TrunkDamageResult - 2.jpg
    TrunkDamageResult - 2.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 62
  • TrunkDamageResult - 3.jpg
    TrunkDamageResult - 3.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 64
  • TrunkDamageResult - 4.jpg
    TrunkDamageResult - 4.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 57

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure what to think. The tree probably could have been OK for a few more years but maybe the rot might have found its way to those nearby. I dunno. Anyway, it's down and went where I wanted it to go. Two more hours of cleanup tomorrow.

Wow that's not to bad at all.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a pretty classic oak wilt case to me.

Also looks like you executed a pretty textbook bore cut. Better safe than sorry. Nice work!
Oak Wilt? You're probably right. I see examples online that look like what I have here.
I know that bore cuts are likely harder on the bar sprocket and slower than other methods, but I feel like I have more control when it counts.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oak Wilt? You're probably right. I see examples online that look like what I have here.
I know that bore cuts are likely harder on the bar sprocket and slower than other methods, but I feel like I have more control when it counts.
Whatever you think is best. That's when your mind is 100% focused on what your doin. I hate at a job when a guy/s are saying do this or do that. If u felt boring in was best then bore it is. Nice job man