High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Are aggressive chains hard(er) on PTO crank bearing?

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Title says it all I reckon, I do like running the depth gauges maybe a little lower than I should….

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've often thought this too, but it probably causes more clutch wear. I do agree with Duce, running an overly tightened chain would cause issues with the clutch drum bearing & (over time) the crank bearings

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Imagine how the vibration of running an aggressive chain would feel if there was no anti vibe feature. I imagine it beats up on something. I think Madsens had an article about it. But I haven't put enough use on any one saw with an aggressive chain to find out what part fails first.

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks you all, it doesn’t help that I’m still really green in the world of chain filing. Probably a safer bet for my saws (with me fondling the chains anyway) if I run less aggressive rakers and even heights.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aggressive is probably easier on the saw than dogging in to cut 6-12” stuff. One way you get vibrations, the other you get added heat and bar wear

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I put the first tank through my ms461 Sunday she dead stalled a time or two from my overly enthusiastic “break-in” grind

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m glad to hear that! It was between that and a 372 Xtorq. I heard they had finally discontinued the 461 and I decided I needed to buy my first (and probably last) mechanical saw. What do you like about the 461 vs the other 1128’s?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m glad to hear that! It was between that and a 372 Xtorq. I heard they had finally discontinued the 461 and I decided I needed to buy my first (and probably last) mechanical saw. What do you like about the 461 vs the other 1128’s?
It’s not much different than the others. Front fed transfer ports into the cylinder vs side fed. They have a bit better torque than the others

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you there, why are the factory ports so fugly in the 461s? It must not hurt much because they sure do perform. I noticed gillardoni makes the cylinders

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you there, why are the factory ports so fugly in the 461s? It must not hurt much because they sure do perform. I noticed gillardoni makes the cylinders
Idk. Might be there intentionally for performance

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could see that, it worked. Any tips on how to keep the file from “undercutting” beneath the top of the cutter? I put mild pressure on the file going up and back towards the saw, I still end up with the file “dropping” and cutting underneath the top plate and creating a hooked cutter.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could see that, it worked. Any tips on how to keep the file from “undercutting” beneath the top of the cutter? I put mild pressure on the file going up and back towards the saw, I still end up with the file “dropping” and cutting underneath the top plate and creating a hooked cutter.
You could use the next size larger file.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

Sounds like you could stand to use a husky roller file guide until you build up that muscle memory:

https://www.ebay.com/p/2256007992

it’ll help you set the depth gauges correctly as well…

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you are pushing too hard on the file, so the cut back is faster than it cuts the top plate. I've had some issues occasionally with getting the file too low, I think it may have just been me not realizing that I was pushing down more than I thought. But pull up a little too much, and it keeps popping out of the tooth. It's a fine balance. It can help to use a larger file too, so you can intentionally file low without getting too low.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lift up more

spencerdiesel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you guys! I’m using a 7/32 file for this saw, isn’t that the correct one? Now that you mention it I think I do push back too hard, and I’m getting that handy husky roller guide!