Are 346xp's still desired?

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are 346xp still desired? I have picked up a couple recently for cheap that needed minor repairs. I haven't seen much in the trading post either. 351s and 353s as well. I remember when they were the saw to have and I couldn't find any, now I have to many.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are 346xp still desired? I have picked up a couple recently for cheap that needed minor repairs. I haven't seen much in the trading post either. 351s and 353s as well. I remember when they were the saw to have and I couldn't find any, now I have to many.
I’ve been looking for 346’s for a couple people if you’re wanting to get rid of any

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not getting rid of any just yet, I haven't seen many for sale lately or talked about . I picked up 3 more in the past month as parts saws, and with a few dollars invested run better than others I have come across. 2 descent runners for less 150 combined. Still have to change an intake clamp on an OE that was suppose to be seized. This one ended needed clutch springs, fuel line, fuel filter, tank vent, but nothing major. To me it seems weird that I have been able to come in to a few for cheaper than 55s

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they’re good saws, and the production run on them was long enough that there must be a ton of them out there.
The replacement to the 346xp was the 550XP. It had autotune, rev boost, was lighter, stronger out of the box, and had better fuel economy and AV. The older 346xp could be ported to run faster that a 550xp could, buy it took some work grinding the cylinder, upgrading the carb, intake track and filter, modding the fuel tank vent, the muffler, etc. out of the box the 550xp was just better.

The 550xp mk II has just replaced the original 550xp, and it’s supposedly faster/stronger than the outgoing 550xp, with a better air filter, stronger case, better heat management, but a little heavier and no rev boost.

Nothing wrong with the 346xp, but at this point it’s two generations old. It’s a simpler design with quad fed transfer ports, no strato charging, and no auto tune. It doesn’t have the simplicity or quality or robustness of the 2-series, but it also doesn’t have the bells and whistles and ergonomics and efficiency of the 5-series. Kind of a middle child at this point. So it’s falling out of the spotlight. In a couple years collectors will be trying to get their hands on them as the remaining supply decreases, but I think at the moment there are plenty of spare parts support and plenty of working saws out there.

Also, if one were not brand blind, the Dolmar 5105 (I hear) has more ass to out cut the 346xp, and it too is a simple design saw that can be bought brand new today. If the Dolmar/Makita is too much $, which is still cheaper than the Husqvarna was when new, you can buy the Maruyama brand of it in different colors. So for people looking for a simple 50cc saw, there are multiple options out there to just buy new instead of wait for a used but not clapped out 346xp to come up.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I landed 2 in a span of 3 weeks.
1. Is a NE that was suppose to have low compression. Clyinder was being held on b 3 loose bolts and missing the intake clamp. Ordered a ring , base gasket, and had clamp fuel line and filter on hand. Used it yesterday to drop an Oak and buck it up.
2. Is and OE that was supposed to be seized. Clutch springs were bad, wrong sprocket, recoil is a little wonky, missing a tank vent . fired up with some fresh fuel. Parts ordered

NOT FOR SALE yet

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I advertised mine on CL for a while at $400 and never got any replies. Guess the interest isn't what it was...Even if they don't sell they're still good for firewood cutting.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not getting rid of any just yet, I haven't seen many for sale lately or talked about . I picked up 3 more in the past month as parts saws, and with a few dollars invested run better than others I have come across. 2 descent runners for less 150 combined. Still have to change an intake clamp on an OE that was suppose to be seized. This one ended needed clutch springs, fuel line, fuel filter, tank vent, but nothing major. To me it seems weird that I have been able to come in to a few for cheaper than 55s
They're getting old and used up, many don't know what they are and lots of them were made. The 55 was popular with homeowners and most of them just sit after being used for a few times. The first generation 550 was a mess, honestly a total mess from top to bottom, which is why it was redesigned. Used year old blown up 550's go for nothing and are plentiful. Only thing it had on the 346 was maybe handling vs the NE346, the OE346 was just as good there and would actually run without an out of the box rebuild.[emoji1] People who know are also holding on the their saws, wish I bought a few more of them.[emoji106]

And to me the 5100 is not a very good saw, still own one have had at least four of them all had problems of some type. Smooth saws with pretty good power, just unreliable.

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 346 is still the best 50cc saw made imo, I have owned all of them ported and stock, 550 version 1 and I own a mark II, version one was to unreliable to even be talked about, mark ii feels more like a 357 in my hands, good design, very smooth, still don't seem to.make the power the 346 does ported though. The 5100/5105 can be made into a faster saw then the 346 can ported, it's drawback is they just don't seem to hold up. Just my 2 cents.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I owned both a ported 2153 and a stock 5100s at the same time and I still ran an old 52e more than both of them so my opinion probably doesn’t have much value here. Lol