High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anything I can do to help fatten up a spruce?

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have what I believe to be a Blue Spruce (kinda blue kinda green) that is getting pretty thin in the middle. Anything I can do to fatten it back up?20210607_182141.jpg 20210607_182126.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Give it more sunlight.

Evergreens tend not to fill back in where they die back from lack of light. Best bet would be give it full sun and a healthy bit of whatever fertilizer they like.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Give it more sunlight.

Evergreens tend not to fill back in where they die back from lack of light. Best bet would be give it full sun and a healthy bit of whatever fertilizer they like.
That does happen to be the shady side if itself but otherwise it's in the middle of the yard with full sunlight.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would bet that it has needle cast. A disease that effects mainly Colorado blue spruce.

Here is an article with some info on needle cast.

https://extension.psu.edu/rhizosphaera-needle-cast

If you google needle cast pictures you will see trees that look like yours
Tomorrow I will go try and see any of the tiny black spots on the needles. I haven't noticed any discoloration of the needles, it just seems like it is loosing and/or not growing needles except at the tips of the branches.

Edit: By the way thank you for the article!

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do tree disease control for a living, most likely needle cast. When it’s only holding onto one years growth it’s almost always needlecast. The lower branches don’t get as much sun or wind so it usually affects the bottom first. They really need full sun. A few fungicide applications before and after candles push would help a lot. I usually add a Foliar fertilizer as well

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do tree disease control for a living, most likely needle cast. When it’s only holding onto one years growth it’s almost always needlecast. The lower branches don’t get as much sun or wind so it usually affects the bottom first. They really need full sun. A few fungicide applications before and after candles push would help a lot. I usually add a Foliar fertilizer as well
Thank you! Any specific products I should look for or stay away from?

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Getting in there with some hand pruners and removing all the little deads should help get a little more light in too.

I have a good number of Spruce and Scotch pine here. They were all planted decades ago for wind breaks. I noticed one spruce in particular is looking thin of green. Does needle cast spread to the adjacent trees? They are spaced out nicely with the tips barely touching neighboring trees.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Spruce are having a hard time in my area. We call these Norway Spruce. My Blues seem ok. I did notice spider mite.
Many are dead. Six on my place.
Sawmill guy saying the same.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any experience with eucalyptus in the desert?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting. Spruce are having a hard time in my area. We call these Norway Spruce. My Blues seem ok. I did notice spider mite.
Many are dead. Six on my place.
Sawmill guy saying the same.
Do you know how far north it has gone? We have almost nothing but spruce and fir trees on our property. Such a blight would be devastating.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea how wide spread. You may consult you State Ag and forestry friends. If it comes there spraying now be better than later.
Thinking of this more, 4 of the 6 I mentioned are near a perpetual nat gas leak, that may not help them.

The saw mill guy mentioned it when I asked if he saw red pine he said, nope it went from blight like spruce are doing now. Turn of the century (1900s) buildings are full of RP lumber here. Yet I know of none growing.
Red Pine, r e d three letters, three long leafs, red saw dust, great to work with.

I did notice a young live ash tree on the neighbors.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea how wide spread. You may consult you State Ag and forestry friends. If it comes there spraying now be better than later.
Thinking of this more, 4 of the 6 I mentioned are near a perpetual nat gas leak, that may not help them.

The saw mill guy mentioned it when I asked if he saw red pine he said, nope it went from blight like spruce are doing now. Turn of the century (1900s) buildings are full of RP lumber here. Yet I know of none growing.
Red Pine, r e d three letters, three long leafs, red saw dust, great to work with.

I did notice a young live ash tree on the neighbors.
Wikipedia said 2 leaves and red-orange bark at the top, I was hoping to find red pine wood almost like red cedar. Also said they are of least concern, so have they already made a full recovery from blight?

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I been wrong about 3 leaves all my life.
Thanks for pointing this out.
I misunderstood the old timer I'm sure.

The stock of reclaimed wood I have and used is very likely old growth.

Penn State Uni. has some good info also.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to Spruce, they hate wondering topics here lol.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Norway spruce are very tolerant and will rarely get needlecast. (Unless turf sprinklers hit them multiple times a week they can get it).
Chlorothalonil will work well. 3 applications would work best. You can do one before buds push then one at half elongation and then another 2-3 weeks later.