High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HOMELITE Anyone know how to hot rod a 1950 zip

Homelitexl

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I got an old zip I've used for awhile it's kinda wore out any one know any good ideas and making a little hot rod out of it already having a buddy make a custom exhaust but is it safe to bore it out and before anyone starts nagging about ruining it people told me to do the same thing to a 89 crown Vic and guess what I did any way just need info wanna see this thing scream

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont think I can help too much with the Zip, but I do like the idea of making a tire burner out of a Vicky.
Little different principle.
The car and most modern saws suffer from a modern problem. That being environmental and safety limitations imposed by the government. Getting extra power from newer stuff is as simple as defeating the regulatory stuff and letting it run as it was originally designed. Let it have more air, more fuel, and let the exhaust breath freely. More open heads on the 5.0 and maybe a more aggresive cam. Open exhaust system. Same as porting a saw with timing corrections and doing a muffler mod.
Older saws like the zip are a different story maybe. They were built before the environmental limitations.
They were limited by the strength and quality of the components they were built from. Newer technology allows for longer life, due to better alloys and protective coatings.
Not saying your saw wouldnt benefit from some port work and a timing advance, followed by a carb that gives it more fuel. The problem might be in whether or not the cylinder, piston, and bearings of the reciprocating assembly can handle this added power and speed.
Like adding nitrous to a stock flathead Ford Motor. Might be awesome for 9.2 seconds, then its gonna be expensive.
Theres a lot of people on here with way more knowledge than me that can lead you in the right direction. Just putting in my 2 cents worth for thought.

Homelitexl

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow I'm just happy someone ain't telling me the whole old don't ruin a classic thing I've heard it far too long and already put boss 302 heads on the Vicky and cut all the smog crap off as for the zip I just wanna give it max potential make it as mean as it truly can be i know the poor excuse for a muffler and as for a carb I was thinking about using a carb for a dirtbike one of those makunis

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont worry about tearing up the zip. They are a collectors saw at this point but collectors saw does not mean valuable. There were many made and still around in scrap piles and sheds. The biggest limitations i could see with this platform is basic design. Would take more than a muffler and bigger carb to make it run. Theses saws don't rev but 6-7k. Would need the cylinder to be cut and ported. The piston is domed so it may require it to be cut flat to get good squish.

Once you get the cylinder and piston ready the choke point will be the tiny reed cage. There just is not enough room in the intake to put a decent cage in there.

Lastly as @Dream said would the bottom end be able to handle the power and rpms?

I would love to see something crazy like this but the cost of doing it is pretty substantial for this platform.

Oh, and welcome to nut house! :beer-toast1:

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Theses saws don't rev but 6-7k.

The specs say this one doesn't rev high either.
e396aa8ca8f7eefb0be2629e09020141.jpg
d803ce2a1673b67c3a35b50fef2aca0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing is impossible although it might be impractical .One of forums had a woman who had some model of a Mall chainsaw souped .I don't think however it was a big model 7 .On that I've got a Mall 12A but I have no intention of doing that .It may or may not ever run again .

Homelitexl

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That pic doesn't even look like mine it says zip on it but it looks closer to a wiz and sorry for the wait guys hadn't got a email letting me know anyone commented yea Its kinda like a nerdy chick in glasses sure nobody else wants it and yea I'll probably break something doing something stupid but dammit I'm gonna try and do it anyway

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That pic doesn't even look like mine it says zip on it but it looks closer to a wiz and sorry for the wait guys hadn't got a email letting me know anyone commented yea Its kinda like a nerdy chick in glasses sure nobody else wants it and yea I'll probably break something doing something stupid but dammit I'm gonna try and do it anyway
Pics of the nerdy babe your going to break.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The specs say this one doesn't rev high either.
e396aa8ca8f7eefb0be2629e09020141.jpg
d803ce2a1673b67c3a35b50fef2aca0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Whew! I dont think that thing even has a wrist pin bearing.
Crank and rod bearings will PROBABLY hold up, but id wear chaps and an athletic cup just in case it wants to liberate some extra weight while in the cut.:):p:eek:

Homelitexl

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Eh they said people couldn't hot rod a slant six and its been done as for nerdy chick sadly still on the hunt for one last one ran off to San antone bout 5 years ago hell closer to 6 now and good riddance she nagged about my collection

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since when was the 89' crown vic a valuable car? They literally littered the streets with those cars, at least I could run from the cops when they had those.
As far as the Zip modifications, base gasket delete and widen the exhaust port.