anyone do circuit board repair

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
10:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
have some question about smd capacitors . repairing some calcs for my daughters school

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
While I don't really repair boards, if there's visually bad component, I have replaced them before. What's your capacitor question?

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
10:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had some issues with a part of the machine I work on at work just today. Before I spent over $2k on a small board I had a tech come out from the company to confirm that I had a bad board, which he said was bad.

He brought the new board over today and we put it in, powered up and one part of the new board glowed bright read and released the white smoke:facepalm:

He neglected to check the cord running from the board..... It had a dead short.

I asked the tech if we could solder out the bad part of the board and put a new piece in, he said no. I really want to prove him wrong.

The other day I had two boards go bad. I did a youtube search to find out what to do and I ended up repairing both of them and all was well. But those were not boards that were part of a $10k printer and $10k computer.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve been known to repair electronic boards before, made my own as well. Look at my YT channel or other posts I’ve made on this forum, not bragging here just have experience. I just finished repairing the board on my welder and posted it on this forum. You can download an app for surface mount components might tell you or help with the value of it, anyway it would be a starting point for you. Best way would be to see if the manufacturer will send you a schematic with the values of all the components on the board. If you can match the value you can order from Digi-Key. Many times I have seen electronic boards will use the same value cap in another circuit on the same board, this is not alway the case though. Sometimes there are numbers and letters printed on the component in question, if you can make out the printed info you can have a Digi-Key technician look it up and find the correct part for you. Well just a few tricks I have learned through the years, hope this helps.

Last edited:

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Need to mention as well there could be other components on the board that are burnt as well and might not show it visually, best ideal there is to trace the circuit and replace all components within that particular circuit, I know that’s more of a pain but well worth it on an expensive board or one the cannot be purchased any longer, which was the case on my welding machine.