Anybody using a Rope Runner Pro

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So right now I climb on a pretty basic system, most of the time I just do a Blake’s hitch on my lifeline and gaff and flipline into the tree. I don’t gaff pruning jobs, but I do damn few of those. I’m looking into getting a rope runner pro so I can start moving more into the mechanical side of things. Eventually I hope to pair it with foot and knee ascenders for SRT climbing, but right now I’d mostly be using it drt. Any thoughts, warnings or praises for this device or recommendations for something else?

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People love their mechanicals these days. I rock hitch cord/hitchclimber/rope wrench setups. I always thought I'd want to upgrade to a mechanical like an akimbo when it came out, but have since thought different. The only way my hitch will fail is if it is beyond its service life or I cut it. Only takes one accidental swing landing a branch into the side of a mechanical and it could be the last. Lots of people rock the swivels these days. If you look at the literature the break strength perpendicular to the swivel itself is scary low at .5 KN It should never see that sort of loading, but it just leaves me with a little more piece of mind knowing if I swing into the side of a hitch it will be all good even if the rope wrench above it fails.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I climbed on a tautline for years. Just recently switched over to a spiderjack 2.1 about 2years ago. I really like how they self tend slack on your ascent.

@Rob Stafari is right as with anything mechanical there is more moving parts and pieces to wear.

I understand you wanting to maybe have one device for both SRT and MRS. I think you might find you will want both. A rope runner for srt. A zigzag or spiderjack for mrs.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with using a blakes/tautline or a hitch climber system. They all have worked for years and are reliable, and pretty simple.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I climb with a VT and hitch climber. @Woodpecker says I'm in the stone ages lol. I don't climb near as much as he does though.

Nothing wrong with a hitch climber. I still climb on one a couple times a month just to keep it fresh in my memory. Stone ages would be tautline/Blake's but nothing wrong with that system either. I'll be starting my 8 year old daughter with that and moving her up to hitch climber and maybe eventually a mechanical if she sticks with it.

Tautline/Blake's and hitch climber vs. Mechanical is really a stationary Rope System (SRS) vs. Moving Rope System (MRS) philosophy of use debate. I prefer SRS because it's super easy to pull a rope through a branch union, anchor it to the base of the tree, and fly vs. Having to isolate a branch so both legs of the climb line can be used in a MRS. Really just a personal preference thing. Initially I didn't like mechanical anything in my system, but after running a hitch climber pulley for a while I gradually came around and started using a mechanical ascender, but there's nothing wrong with using a rope wrench/hitch/hitch climber pully.

I have an Akimbo that I use for a lanyard adjuster/work position and second short climb system on a 20 foot lanyard. I really didn't like it as an everyday ascender because I found it very picky which rope it would run well with.

I have a rope runner pro that I've climbed a few times with. Really I'm not in love with it. It's fiddly to install a climb line on, so the in tree midline attachment characteristics are kind of negated. It does run up the rope very smooth though and feels built well enough and maybe it would grow on me if I use it more. I may end up using it on my lanyard instead of the akimbo.

I mainly use a mechanical called a Bulldog Bone
20210106_123735.jpg
Built by a brilliant guy down in South Carolina out of aluminum and steel. It's pretty much bombproof. Just feels very solid and well built. In short I can trust it and that's what really counts for me. For reference the carabiner attaches to a rated ring on my saddle bridge.

As far as swivels go I don't have a problem using a high quality swivel from a know good manufacturer for life support. I wouldn't trust my life to a no name Chinese swivel. The swivel in the pic is a rock exotica nano. Again pretty bulletproof. I'd be surprised if it didn't meet the 23kn rating in both pull and side impact. I also run a cmi California swivel on my secondary bridge...20210106_132633.jpg
Works great for switching to a MRS from a SRS. Again bombproof.

@Thumper88 do you have a tree work supply shop near by so you can try a rope runner pro out? If your coming from a Blake's you might want to consider a rope wrench hitch climber combo. You can still climb MRS and switch to SRS when your ready.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with a hitch climber. I still climb on one a couple times a month just to keep it fresh in my memory. Stone ages would be tautline/Blake's but nothing wrong with that system either. I'll be starting my 8 year old daughter with that and moving her up to hitch climber and maybe eventually a mechanical if she sticks with it.

Tautline/Blake's and hitch climber vs. Mechanical is really a stationary Rope System (SRS) vs. Moving Rope System (MRS) philosophy of use debate. I prefer SRS because it's super easy to pull a rope through a branch union, anchor it to the base of the tree, and fly vs. Having to isolate a branch so both legs of the climb line can be used in a MRS. Really just a personal preference thing. Initially I didn't like mechanical anything in my system, but after running a hitch climber pulley for a while I gradually came around and started using a mechanical ascender, but there's nothing wrong with using a rope wrench/hitch/hitch climber pully.

I have an Akimbo that I use for a lanyard adjuster/work position and second short climb system on a 20 foot lanyard. I really didn't like it as an everyday ascender because I found it very picky which rope it would run well with.

I have a rope runner pro that I've climbed a few times with. Really I'm not in love with it. It's fiddly to install a climb line on, so the in tree midline attachment characteristics are kind of negated. It does run up the rope very smooth though and feels built well enough and maybe it would grow on me if I use it more. I may end up using it on my lanyard instead of the akimbo.

View attachment 276155
Built by a brilliant guy down in South Carolina out of aluminum and steel. It's pretty much bombproof. Just feels very solid and well built. In short I can trust it and that's what really counts for me. For reference the carabiner attaches to a rated ring on my saddle bridge.

As far as swivels go I don't have a problem using a high quality swivel from a know good manufacturer for life support. I wouldn't trust my life to a no name Chinese swivel. The swivel in the pic is a rock exotica nano. Again pretty bulletproof. I'd be surprised if it didn't meet the 23kn rating in both pull and side impact. I also run a cmi California swivel on my secondary bridge...View attachment 276159

@Thumper88 do you have a tree work supply shop near by so you can try a rope runner pro out? If your coming from a Blake's you might want to consider a rope wrench hitch climber combo. You can still climb MRS and switch to SRS when your ready.
Thank you Brad. I tagged you cause I knew you would share lots of good info.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Brad. I tagged you cause I knew you would share lots of good info.
Anytime Mike I'm happy to help out. There's a lot of info out there and it can be confusing to sort through it all at first. At least it was for me anyway.

For a feller used to a moving rope system the rope wrench is pretty hard to beat. Here's a couple different setups for reference:

Rope-Wrench-Loaded.jpg
asc180-2-500.gif

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People love their mechanicals these days. I rock hitch cord/hitchclimber/rope wrench setups. I always thought I'd want to upgrade to a mechanical like an akimbo when it came out, but have since thought different. The only way my hitch will fail is if it is beyond its service life or I cut it. Only takes one accidental swing landing a branch into the side of a mechanical and it could be the last. Lots of people rock the swivels these days. If you look at the literature the break strength perpendicular to the swivel itself is scary low at .5 KN It should never see that sort of loading, but it just leaves me with a little more piece of mind knowing if I swing into the side of a hitch it will be all good even if the rope wrench above it fails.

That is one aspect of a mechanical I had never considered, that it could be released by a falling branch. I have never tried a rope wrench, though they do seem to be a popular option.

I climbed on a tautline for years. Just recently switched over to a spiderjack 2.1 about 2years ago. I really like how they self tend slack on your ascent.

@Rob Stafari is right as with anything mechanical there is more moving parts and pieces to wear.

I understand you wanting to maybe have one device for both SRT and MRS. I think you might find you will want both. A rope runner for srt. A zigzag or spiderjack for mrs.
So I hadn’t even heard of the spider Jack. I had seen a zig zag in action, and it seemed like a good setup. Is there a reason you suggest those over the rope runner for Mrs? I watched videos on all 3 and they all seem to have pros and cons as anything does
Nothing wrong with using a blakes/tautline or a hitch climber system. They all have worked for years and are reliable, and pretty simple.

I climb with a VT and hitch climber. @Woodpecker says I'm in the stone ages lol. I don't climb near as much as he does though.

View attachment 276155

As far as swivels go I don't have a problem using a high quality swivel from a know good manufacturer for life support. I wouldn't trust my life to a no name Chinese swivel. The swivel in the pic is a rock exotica nano. Again pretty bulletproof. I'd be surprised if it didn't meet the 23kn rating in both pull and side impact. I also run a cmi California swivel on my secondary bridge...View attachment 276159

Anytime Mike I'm happy to help out. There's a lot of info out there and it can be confusing to sort through it all at first. At least it was for me anyway.

For a feller used to a moving rope system the rope wrench is pretty hard to beat. Here's a couple different setups for reference:

View attachment 276173
View attachment 276174

So I’m a stone age climber, mainly because it’s what I know and I’m comfortable with. My dad learned the basics of climbing from his brother who was a lineman, then taught himself tree rope work using videos, books and an inate ability to problem solve. That said his knowledge is limited and he only did climbing tree work on his own property. I want to make myself more efficient and improve my techniques so that I’m better suited for a variety of situations. There is only one local shop here and he mostly caters to rock climbers. He had a minimal of climbing gear at best and no mechanical stuff, rope wrench or anything else. I have heard of the bulldog bone, and it’s good to hear a real review. My biggest hindrance on trying new things and equipment is the fact that I do this as a second job, not a primary source of income, so money for equipment has to be allocated carefully, and most tree guys around here cut it from a bucket or just gaff in and flip line up. There are very few arborist that I can find and the ones I do find aren’t keen on sharing work secrets. So I’m stuck with videos, conversations and reading as much as possible to try to make informed decisions on what would work best for my needs

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also of note. Whatever upgrade I step to next will most likely require a new rope. I currently use Samson Arborplex, which for what I currently climb on works great, but it’s my understanding that I’ll need to move to something in the 11-13mm range, most likely a 24 strand.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The original rope runner was not rated for mrs. Even though many have done it. I have the stuff to do srs. Rope runner knee and foot ascender. But dont use it that much. I am a mrs kinda guy. I really like my spiderjack. The way it fits my hand reminds me of a tautline. Self tends well and not alot of moving parts. I am not going to say anything about a zigzag dont own one and have never climbed with one. The zigzag can be used in both mrs and srs with the use of a chicane in srs.

I have not climbed with the rope runner in mrs. I dont like how you pull the rope up from the bottom like on a hitch climber system. Seems backwards to me.

Going to a hitch climber system and then adding a rope wrench and tether maybe the cheapest option. Especially if you are on a budget and not using your tool to make a living.

I dont really like to recommend tree gear as we are all so different in what someone likes or the trees they have to work in.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use yale blue moon. 11.7 mm

I chose blue moon because i could use it in both mrs and srs. It is not the best rope for srs. But works for the little bit i use srs.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can take some pictures of my spiderjack or rope runner if that would be of use to you.

It took me a long time to switch from.the proverbial caveman style of climbing most days i am glad i did. But i sure did end up with alot of gear.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot you were from TN. If I’m not mistaken, UT Knoxville was teaching some climbing techniques in an Urban Forester class a few years ago. You are right about people climbing around here. If they can’t reach it from a bucket, they pass it off to someone else. There are 6 tree services in the small community I live in now and NONE of them climb.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would really appreciate some pictures of the spider Jack especially since it’s one I haven’t researched. I will say when i started cutting I had no idea the amount of gear you end up packing. I like falling, I’m a fairly proficient faller, and I’m comfortable working in tight quarters with small tight lays. When I added in climbing it started off pretty basic. Buckingham 4 D harness, flipline line and spurs. Then I started using a secondary tie in/lifeline. So that was a climbing rope, biners, throwlines and bags, now I have an air powered throw bag cannon, in tree rigging gear, and the list just
Keeps growing lol

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot you were from TN. If I’m not mistaken, UT Knoxville was teaching some climbing techniques in an Urban Forester class a few years ago. You are right about people climbing around here. If they can’t reach it from a bucket, they pass it off to someone else. There are 6 tree services in the small community I live in now and NONE of them climb.

UT would be awesome, I’ll check into that. I have a Gi bill I haven’t used completely yet. I know
One actual arborist in this area. Most of the guys around here are either “big” services with 2-4 bucket trucks, a chipper and some ground guys, or they are tiny 1-4 man operations who range from competent fallers and might climb a little, to I’ll cut it for a 24 pack and a half dozen hydros. I’m in the 2 ma operation category, but I do climb and I am trying to improve, and I do carry liability insurance and act professional on the job site. And most importantly, I know when to walk away and leave it to someone who is better than me.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also of note. Whatever upgrade I step to next will most likely require a new rope. I currently use Samson Arborplex, which for what I currently climb on works great, but it’s my understanding that I’ll need to move to something in the 11-13mm range, most likely a 24 strand.
Isn't your arborplex already 12mm? If so it will run through a rope wrench.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't your arborplex already 12mm? If so it will run through a rope wrench.

It is 12mm, but I didn’t know how it would work since it’s 12 strand. With a rope wrench I don’t imagine it would give much issues as long as I matched it to the right hitch cord, but I have read that the pure mechanical stuff can be quite hard on ropes, especially if they aren’t 24 strand. Any truth to that?

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, once thing I will note, I have to always keep an eye on WLL of ropes and products. I’m 240 in my boxers, add on a belt, lanyard, logging boots, jeans, eye and head protection, saw, etc and I get close to some manufacturers limits quickly.