High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anybody install a decomp in a non-decomp head?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anybody drilled and tapped the boss on a non-deco cylinder head and installed the decomp valve?
Got a 262xp that’s needing it.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done one, a 288 - it's easier if you have a bottoming tap and use a small bit to drill the pilot hole that will actually pierce the plating.

I put a piece of duct tape on the cylinder wall and used a 1/16" bit slowly to minimize flaking.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That brings up a conversation ,now think about this .Those who cut down the top of a cylinder to decrease the size of the combustion chamber cut off the plating if it has any .An aluminum block automotive engine cylinder head has no plating nor do small engines like Briggs and Stratton .

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That brings up a conversation ,now think about this .Those who cut down the top of a cylinder to decrease the size of the combustion chamber cut off the plating if it has any .An aluminum block automotive engine cylinder head has no plating nor do small engines like Briggs and Stratton .
Then the top piston ring would ride on the place where the piston crown used to be which is no problem when people cut only 0.02~0.05 inch.
Aluminum block cars have platting on them or a steel liner. Even the Briggs and Stratton use iron liner as an ad for their commercial engines.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read my post again .I wasn't talking about the cylinder but rather the cylinder head .BTW It's not a steel liner it's nodular iron cast in place, not removable .It's all done with a die cast machine and robotics .I saw the process at Honda Anna Ohio and the machining process at both Honda and Ford Motor from which I retired .

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read my post again .I wasn't talking about the cylinder but rather the cylinder head .BTW It's not a steel liner it's nodular iron cast in place, not removable .It's all done with a die cast machine and robotics .I saw the process at Honda Anna Ohio and the machining process at both Honda and Ford Motor from which I retired .
I saw the Toyota one. Yea they are cast in the block. What's the benefit of platting the head?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a chainsaw it's not really a head but a head deck so to speak because the head and cylinder are a unit. If it is plated which I doubt it would not make any difference if you broke out the plating because for all intents it really doesn't help anything .