Anybody else have local shop blues?

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stopped at the local Stihl dealer. About 10 miles from home and been there as long as I can remember. Lady behind counter asks what I needed, told here I wanted a raker gauge for .404 chain. Gives me a funny look and says, “What’s that?” o_O

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stopped at the local Stihl dealer. About 10 miles from home and been there as long as I can remember. Lady behind counter asks what I needed, told here I wanted a raker gauge for .404 chain. Gives me a funny look and says, “What’s that?” o_O

So, did you help her figure out what it is?

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I got the shop blue ls when the lady that knew everything stopped working there.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the dealer blues 20 years ago when the only local Stihl "Pro" dealer refused to sell me chains

Even though I knew gauge, drive link count, cutter type, etc, they wouldn't make me some loops without actually seeing the saw

Said they were tired of people bringing stuff back because they were wrong in what they asked for

Walked out and never went back and actually started getting anything Stihl I needed from a local ACE Hardware that had a dedicated Stihl shop set up in one corner

They didn't have anyone that knew anything but all I needed was a part number and they were good to go

They are cheaper than cheap as well on files, filters, small parts, etc

That corner has grown into about a 1/4 of the whole store and they handle everything Stihl now

The lack of good saw shops in the Anchorage Alaska area is surprising at first but I guess the big box stores did them in

One reason I switched to Dolmar, if I was going to be on my own I might as well start off with a tank of a saw

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty lucky, I have two reasonably local Husky dealers. It does bum me out that one of them constantly badmouths small Huskies, to the point of when I wanted a new bar, the guy behind the counter said, " I wouldn't waste the money on it." That little saw has given me absolutely no problems that I didn't bring on myself.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s experiences like these that makes me scratch my head and wonder how and why some brands cling to their “pro shop only” business model

How did some of these clowns get dealerships?

Distinguishing your brand from a big box store brand is one thing but if the people behind the counter “no habla chainsaw” and they alienate chainsaw intelligent customers then what have you gained?

IDK

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our old husky dealer in town was a piece of work.. He would ask what's it for? even a spark plug, if I said a Stihl whatever he would go off his nut fing this fing that f Stihl and basically tell you to get out of his shop. I had to breathe deep a few times and refrain from pulling him over the counter lol
It was nice seeing him slow blinking and ragging inside when I made it known to him I (for obvious reasons) I bought a husky ride on mower from another dealer from another town.
That's where my distaste for anything husqvarna started years ago even to this day I won't support that brand in anyway.
He's tec was a joke as well I remember getting rings in (ordered) obviously they were wrong went back saying something is wrong must of got me in the wrong rings, showed the tec how big the ring end gap was with rings in cylinder.
I could tell by the open mouth and glazed over eyes look I got I'm best walking out and cutting my losses lol.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PXL_20211016_121413793.jpg

Hi Mark!
:hello::hello::hello::hello:

I do have to say though, I own a shop and have been stumped or not known the answer more than once and I'm certain it won't be the last time. The Echo catalog is pretty succinct for me, but the Husqvarna one is still extensive. Guaranteed you could make me look like a joker with some stuff outta that one.

Regardless, I just got these guys in last week...maybe it could suit your needs?

Also, today is the Beaver Falls Beer Tour....Not a drinker myself, but if you are we've got some beer and snacks!

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw the news had tornado warnings early today in S Beaver. Lots of trees down in Cranberry, Mars/Evan City, pretty calm over here.

Going to a Dealer today. My goal is to know nutink, and don't cop a tude lol. I do have PNs, hope that dose not piss em off. Nah, this ones been pretty fair.

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was at a Stihl dealer once to buy a 20" b&c for my 036Pro, the counterman couldn't find one listed for my saw. I finally had to get him to look up a bar for a newer model saw. I don't blame him for not knowing, but he needed an education someone should have given him before putting him in front of the public. I should have known better than to go to a feed and seed store for saw parts!

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 312633

Hi Mark!

I do have to say though, I own a shop and have been stumped or not known the answer more than once and I'm certain it won't be the last time. The Echo catalog is pretty succinct for me, but the Husqvarna one is still extensive. Guaranteed you could make me look like a joker with some stuff outta that one.

Regardless, I just got these guys in last week...maybe it could suit your needs?

Also, today is the Beaver Falls Beer Tour....Not a drinker myself, but if you are we've got some beer and snacks!
If I had been in Beaver Falls Chris I would have stopped, my bad luck was to be in New Castle and figured i’ld stop at the Stihl dealer on the way home. Bad idea.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stopped into one of the large tractor dealers that is also a Stihl dealer. Needed a new bar for my Stihl. Pretty sure you need to have purchased a few 100+ hp tractors before you were noticed. Reluctantly bought the bar from them, but will never darken their door again. Perhaps I didn't look like a high roller, so why bother.

Sad!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 312633

Hi Mark!

Do y’all have .325” & 3/8” in stock?

How do I order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do y’all have .325” & 3/8” in stock?

How do I order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have the 3/8 and 404 in stock... I don't believe they make one for 325.

Check out my website In my signature and on the bar on the left click west coast saw products....

You'll find them there