Any idea what this is?

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked this up at an auction when no one would bid on it. It is about 36.5” long and the rotating discs at each end are 6” across. The threaded spindles are about 9” tall and as you can see it expands out. Looks to be made of aluminum, I have no clue what I bought.

029B2051-9017-4A69-9DF3-4DC5F54B61FC.jpeg

F6AD98D6-C455-45B7-BEC9-6A0AEDA1D808.jpeg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any sort of rub marks that would tell what was pulled over it?
What's in the gunk on it?
Does the "dirt" on it have any sort of distinctive scent or texture or color?
If'n it was found in the projector room of an "Adult Theater", uhm...ya might skip the sniff test.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What type of auction was it. What I mean is what types of things were they selling. Ya know birds of a feather flock together

Annual consignment auction, everything from furniture to tools to farm equipment. It was in a row with mostly tools.

Last edited:

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my google search for "external lock snap ring tool dual aluminum 36" ship transmission" turned up nothing, though I think it is along those lines.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,

I was thinking, this might be the bigger brother of a camshaft phase positioning tool, such as you use on the newer Ford modular engines. Seeing the back would help. It does look like it is meant to be inserted into snap rings or maybe through a chain and into a hole drilled into the gear, so, you lock the gears in place when working on the crankshaft or when removing the camshaft. Though at 36", I would think we are into marine or Caterpillar sized engines and fairly new ones at that.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it is along these lines then:

BCY Yellowstone String Making Jig
https://lancasterarchery.com/products/bcy-yellowstone-string-making-jig

It has the little posts on top of the spindles, but, the spindles are tapered. I bought an inventory of a sporting goods store, I sold dozens of guns and bows, but, I never saw a tool like that in the inventory. Very interesting to know what it is, thank you.