Another nail in the Aftermarket coffin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
2:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up a good condition 281. Not sure if it is XP or not, maybe someone can help me with the serial number.

It was not cheap, but it was worth it.
P&C are sound, muffler is good, clutch, crank etc is fine, carb is good, air filter is very clean.
The top cover has been replaced with one from a different saw and the side cover was replaced with an AM one.

The first things to go were the chain tensioner and the pull cord. I just put the original pull cord back in and melted the knot to keep it held. The tensioner got ripped out when the chain was thrown limbing a cypress tree. The little rubber washer had worn out. Luckily the dealer had a full tensioner assembly. Same one as in a 61.
The original side cover had a metal brake.
The new one actually squeezes the bar grooves and traps the chain when the nuts are fully tightened!
Not sure if this is due to poor alignment with the bar grooves or the material used being too soft and easy to squeeze under tightening pressure.

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also replaced the fuel caps with caps from a 445 rancher. The original ones had become brittle with age and cracked when I opened them.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible the tail of the bar is too narrow and is causing everything to bind when you tighten down the aftermarket clutch cover? It would be worth measuring
the clamping area of the aftermarket cover and comparing that to the OEM cover.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it's missing the bar plate:

HTB1Xh.Df8DH8KJjy1zeq6xjepXaE.jpg

Also, your's is a later model 281xp as well The earlier ones were silver plate serial tags marked 'Electrolux'.

My old 281xp:

168437894.p2kz4bP6.jpg

That piston looks a bit scored? An 87cc Meteor kit is not too expensive.