another 372xp question...

Northerner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the OE 372s, there's 2 different cylinder/piston kits available, EPA and non EPA. Whats the dif? i see the epa has 2 rings, anything else? Seems the non-epa version has gotten a different part # and the price has gone waaay up from my supplier.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the OE 372s, there's 2 different cylinder/piston kits available, EPA and non EPA. Whats the dif? i see the epa has 2 rings, anything else? Seems the non-epa version has gotten a different part # and the price has gone waaay up from my supplier.
All that I've received in the past few years is 2 ring pistons
I believe the one ring might be nla.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They both work. Meteor makes both too. Some like the 1 ring cuz less drag? Ring end location when porting.

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Paper on two rings versus one ring:

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SON OF A, it deleted my typins. Your diesel words are biggum sir. The 2 rings feel torqier in the wood down low if you lose rpm. Up high the pressure seals 1 ring or two with about the same pressure. Its the cumbustin that holds the ring to the wall at rpm when the gas pushes the ring down it sneaks behind it and pushes out too, its not the ring tension when its runnin. I feel the extra ring drag is about the same as the couple different grams in weight of the meteor vs the oem piston. If you care too much you want the single ring oem piston. If your reasonable it really doesn't matter in the real world. People leave the second ring out all the time. Not me so much.

I raise you more painful diesel thinkin. Do chainsaws fly?

Edit: I need more coffee.... If its ported I'd care more about the ring pin locations than whether it had two rings or one or how thick the ring is. Stock I'd really want both rings. I also feel like the "heat transfer" ring stuff is a little dubious both ways. I will leave one out for reasons, but I don't like too.

Last edited: