An Accurate Clock

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago there was an army colonel who was commissioned to award a master sergeant at Fort Collins who had fired a cannon every day for 25 years at exactly noon, never missing a shot. In fact, he was never off by more than ten seconds, either early or late.

As the colonel presented the award, he asked, "Sarge, could you explain to me how you could have fired that cannon so accurately on time for 25 years, over 9,000 shots, right on time?"

The sergeant replied, "Well it was rather simple, really. There's a clock shop down on Main street that's only 15 minutes walking distance from the cannon. I walked by there every day and reset my army issue watch to a school clock hanging in the window. I gave myself 2o minutes to get here. As soon as my watch reached noon, I fired the cannon."

The colonel was fascinated and decided to talk to the owner of the clock shop. He saw the school clock hanging in the window, walked up to the owner, and said, "Sir, do you realize that the school clock hanging in your window is right on time and has been for over 25 years. How is it possible? Is that clock somehow connected to the standard time being broadcast?"

The owner replied, "No, I don't even have a radio in the shop and that's a wind-up clock. However, every day there's a guy who fires a cannon up on the hill at Fort Collins around noon. When I hear that cannon go off, I reset the school clock and every other clock in my shop."

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you think about it, this system would work even if the sergeant was ill and missed a shot or two. Most clocks run longer than 24 hours, especially school clocks. Some even have 31-day movements.

On some days the sergeant might fire early and on other days he might be late. It would all average out. And, the army issue wrist watch would only have to run for about a half hour to keep the system afloat.

I recall first reading this story about 2o years ago. I wrote it here from what I remembered. I suppose I could have posted it on the joke thread, but it's more interesting than it is humorous. Thanks for the read.

Last edited: