Amsoil

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I met a gentleman yesterday that claims he has over 600k original miles on his 50s Chevy truck with a 261 cu in... I guess he has owned the truck for 47 years and only uses Amsoil. That's crazy.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it amsoil is amazing I have seen multiple run over 500k and still keep on trucking with amsoil

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it amsoil is amazing I have seen multiple run over 500k and still keep on trucking with amsoil

When I was slinging car parts while in college I had a guy go 20k on every oil change while using a cheap filter. He had an account with us, so I was able to track his millage over the years. I was surprised that car hit 100k actually.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the day my family all ran amsoil and my grampa had a 5.3 chevy that had over 300k that had 3 ever oil changes with amsoil it was so rotted it ended it's life still running strong

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I met a gentleman yesterday that claims he has over 600k original miles on his 50s Chevy truck with a 261 cu in... I guess he has owned the truck for 47 years and only uses Amsoil. That's crazy.

Thats cool because Amsoil didnt become an actual entity until 1972.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha that's funny not saying that guy couldn't have been blowing smoke but it is really good oil

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
36 to1 . Enough said !

Attachments

• 20220708_170301.jpg
    20220708_170301.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 15

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never tried amsoil.... prolly real good stuff, I s'pose.
I always just used what was cheap / easy to find.

Seems to me that the way a person runs an engine has a pretty big impact on the longevity of said engine. I drive my rigs like I don't want em to bust (or crash), on the other hand I've got a couple BIL's (and nephews) that do all the prescribed maintenance but then proceed to drive like they're playing a video game..... they end up with blown engines.

A few years back I bought a 90 Corolla with 205k on it. I gave it an oil change (cheap Walmart brand oil), and then put 50k on it and never changed the oil once, I only paid $600 for it so didn't figure it was worth enough to bother changing the oil, after a couple years I sold the car to my aunt who put another 100k on it with no engine problems at all.

In my powersaws, I've mostly just used husky oil and ain't burnt nothin' up yet.
I didn't use it because I thunk it was the best oil or anything, it's just what was available when I was at the store, and it seemed pretty slippery to me.
I've gone through allot of mix since the early 90's when I started running saws and never even thought about what type of oil I wuz burnin' till I discovered saw forums...... now I'm sure I'm prolly gonna break down cause I'm not using the right juice.
Dang! Lol.....

Not trying to start a brawl, just sharing some of of my thoughts on the subject.

I've read enough of the oil threads to get the idea that there ain't no general consensus, unfortunately.

Last edited:

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats cool because Amsoil didnt become an actual entity until 1972.

This was my old neighbor and I remember this truck when I was a kid 30 years ago. I just bought a trailer from him and had to ask how long has he owned it since I remember this truck when I was a little kid running through the neighborhood.. Well, the story I got was he bought the truck in 1975 and replaced the smaller 6 with the larger 261. Did he use amsoil in 1975? Who knows, all I know is he believes amsoil is the reason this engine hit 600k in 47 years...

For myself I use the cheap 5qt mobil1 containers at Walmart or sometime I use Royal Purple if I can find it cheap enough.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was my old neighbor and I remember this truck when I was a kid 30 years ago. I just bought a trailer from him and had to ask how long has he owned it since I remember this truck when I was a little kid running through the neighborhood.. Well, the story I got was he bought the truck in 1975 and replaced the smaller 6 with the larger 261. Did he use amsoil in 1975? Who knows, all I know is he believes amsoil is the reason this engine hit 600k in 47 years...

For myself I use the cheap 5qt mobil1 containers at Walmart or sometime I use Royal Purple if I can find it cheap enough.

I hear royal purple is no good? I have used Valvoline in all my cars because that is what the shop uses. I have driven a lot of miles on Valvoline over the years and not had one failure due to lubrication.

I agree with @Sawdust Man , how you take care of the equipment has more to do with it than brand x does. No way in hell I'd go 10's of thousands of miles on an oil change because the oil manufacturer says so. Won't pay a premium for it either.

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear royal purple is no good? I have used Valvoline in all my cars because that is what the shop uses. I have driven a lot of miles on Valvoline over the years and not had one failure due to lubrication.

I agree with @Sawdust Man , how you take care of the equipment has more to do with it than brand x does. No way in hell I'd go 10's of thousands of miles on an oil change because the oil manufacturer says so. Won't pay a premium for it either.

I haven't really done any research in years on royal purple. I probably should since that's what I'm running in my Cobra right now.. The best guys to really talk to are the engine builders that aren't affiliated with any of the oil companies.