High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

AM Stihl MS341/361 coils - YES or NO ? (Your opinions)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dad of one of my coworkers owns a Stihl MS341 which just burned up a second ignition coil.
The original factory coil got swapped out about 4 years ago, supposedly with an OEM part at the local Stihl dealer.

Coworker asked for alternatives so I looked up eBay and there seem to be AM coils for about 15-20$ which is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of OEM.
Coworker is now asking me to get him a AM coil as he doesn't have PayPal/eBay and is unwilling to again pay for OEM, so I'd like to make sure these AM coils are OK.

Are these coils reliable considering their pricing?
Does anybody have any experience with these, what do You think?
Are they a direct swap?

I would really appreciate any and all opinions, thoughts and help I can get before I plunge into this! :)

AM Stihl MS341/MS361 coil on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignitio...446387?hash=item43e6b53df3:g:~8AAAOSwbdpWZPyD

Thank You very much in advance!

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never used that brand... I've used alto of wangalo seller on e bay and some from machine doctor. I've got a few on my own stuff and a while lot out working everyday. If they work when u get them they usually last atleast a year. Keep them cool and clean grounds and they work fine.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The coils are a direct swap if you order the correct one for your saw. As far as AM vs. OEM, it sounds like the Original wasn't all that good. The Chinese parts are generally Farmer Tech which doesn't seem to be too bad, I'd buy one before I'd pay 3 times that much for the OEM module probably made in China also.. Stihl has changed their design so you couldn't use the more reliable 024-026-028-029 module. Those and the MS280 coils are same design but don't know if they'll interchange..

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an oem 361 and a Chinese clone. The clone coil was bad from the factory. Replaced it with used oem. The Stihl 361 coil just went bad today. Replaced it with a Farmertec. We'll see I guess. I hate spending $70 on something that fails regularly.

Cutforfun

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think stilh has a lifetime warranty on the coil for 361 for the original owner. I don't know if it transfers if the saw is sold.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
kevin the one that just went out is the one i sent you ?

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dad of one of my coworkers owns a Stihl MS341 which just burned up a second ignition coil.
The original factory coil got swapped out about 4 years ago, supposedly with an OEM part at the local Stihl dealer.

Coworker asked for alternatives so I looked up eBay and there seem to be AM coils for about 15-20$ which is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of OEM.
Coworker is now asking me to get him a AM coil as he doesn't have PayPal/eBay and is unwilling to again pay for OEM, so I'd like to make sure these AM coils are OK.

Are these coils reliable considering their pricing?
Does anybody have any experience with these, what do You think?
Are they a direct swap?

I would really appreciate any and all opinions, thoughts and help I can get before I plunge into this! :)

AM Stihl MS341/MS361 coil on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignitio...446387?hash=item43e6b53df3:g:~8AAAOSwbdpWZPyD

Thank You very much in advance!

I have no experience with the reliability, but just a heads up the one you put a link to will be shipped directly from China.... hope you're in no rush to get it.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
kevin the one that just went out is the one i sent you ?
I think so, not sure. I thought I put the one from my stihl into the Asian, and then when I got yours, I put it in the oem saw. The ft ran like a million bucks. I'm gonna put a few hours on it today

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think so, not sure. I thought I put the one from my stihl into the Asian, and then when I got yours, I put it in the oem saw. The ft ran like a million bucks. I'm gonna put a few hours on it today
i should have more

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i should have more
Not worried about it. It could be on the Chinese saw, I can't remember. Doesn't matter, when we buy used we should be prepared for it to not last

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an oem 361 and a Chinese clone. The clone coil was bad from the factory. Replaced it with used oem. The Stihl 361 coil just went bad today. Replaced it with a Farmertec. We'll see I guess. I hate spending $70 on something that fails regularly.
Agreed, that's why he asked me for alternatives.
Saw was purchased new and buried two coils, the owner is not really willing to drop another~70$ into the saw.

I think stilh has a lifetime warranty on the coil for 361 for the original owner. I don't know if it transfers if the saw is sold.
Saw was purchased before Croatia was member of the EU, as such warranty rules were adjusted by the sellers to their hearts desires.
It wasn't uncommon that one got a "one season" warranty on OPE equipment like mowers , weed whackers, and yes even chainsaws - there usually was a fine print stating 6 month warranty.

I have no experience with the reliability, but just a heads up the one you put a link to will be shipped directly from China.... hope you're in no rush to get it.
It's not my saw nor my dad's saw - for all I care the coil can take two months to arrive! ;)

Thank You all for replying!
So, generally the AM coils should be OK considering that the OEM ones seem fail on a regular basis anyway?

Thanks guys, :beer-toast1:
W.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea if the poem are junk what do you have to lose. Hell they may ne better.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can someone check Stihl part numbers?

The part number in the ads for AM coils is 1135 400 1300, while the OEM part number stated by the local Stihl is 1135 400 1301.

Are these two parts numbers interchangeable?
As a reminder, coil is for Stihl MS341.

Again, any and all help is appreciated!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You @dall !

I think the 1301 might be a updated part number, to no avail though as the current defective coil is a 1301 - go figure.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My AM ignition coil arrived . . . . . . - not happy though!

This is what I got:
WRONG COIL 1.JPG WRONG COIL 2.JPG WRONG COIL 3.JPG WRONG COIL 4.JPG WRONG COIL 5.JPG

I either received the wrong coil or they made the stupid thing mirrored the wrong way around - FIRETRUCK! :mad:

Asked the seller for a full refund, if not received will start a refund request through the eBay system.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OEM ignition coil:
DSC01681.JPG