Airgun enthusiasts?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are any of you guys into air rifles? Can you educate me a little? Lifetime shooter, but my Airgun experience is limited to pellet guns I had as a kid, now I want something with some real accuracy and knock down power for small game. Birds and squirrels mainly. Ok. Mostly just the damn ground squirrels. I bought a cheap Benjamin pump and a wrist injury is making it painful to pump plus it’s got a plastic Monte Carlo type stock that makes it almost impossible to use the iron sights. A scope would make it even more difficult to pump so I’m looking for a pre charged type. Have a break barrel Beeman that is less than impressive power wise and accuracy sucks. Saw an “Airforce” condorSS and it looks cool but I know nothing about these guns. Do I need a special air compressor? I seem to recall the typical compressors like I have in the garage have a lot of moisture in the air, I assume this would not be good for an $800 air rifle,, so, hoping some of you guys know more about it than I do.

Lcfd1124

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are any of you guys into air rifles? Can you educate me a little? Lifetime shooter, but my Airgun experience is limited to pellet guns I had as a kid, now I want something with some real accuracy and knock down power for small game. Birds and squirrels mainly. Ok. Mostly just the damn ground squirrels. I bought a cheap Benjamin pump and a wrist injury is making it painful to pump plus it’s got a plastic Monte Carlo type stock that makes it almost impossible to use the iron sights. A scope would make it even more difficult to pump so I’m looking for a pre charged type. Have a break barrel Beeman that is less than impressive power wise and accuracy sucks. Saw an “Airforce” condorSS and it looks cool but I know nothing about these guns. Do I need a special air compressor? I seem to recall the typical compressors like I have in the garage have a lot of moisture in the air, I assume this would not be good for an $800 air rifle,, so, hoping some of you guys know more about it than I do.
Gammo makes an excellent airgun, there are many videos of them taking down wild pigs. I have the whisper Royale and absolutely love it. Break down barrel. I use the PBA raptor ammo and that thing screams

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes if you're going to get a PCP rifle then you do need the dedicated air compressor specifically for such rifles. Standard garage compressors only go up to around 130psi. PCP compressors go into the 2000psi+ range. They do have hand pump bicycle style pumps that you can charge the rifle with but its not a fast process and quite exhausting. Out of my air rifle collection my Air Arms Prosport .22 is my most accurate rifle and its not a break barrel. More of a lever action style i guess you'd call it. I think its a little easier than a break barrel

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an injury to one elbow. I have a Gamo break barrel, 1000 fps rifle with a BSA scope. I've had it for 12 years. I use 10.5 gram pellets. Very accurate. It is about the same weight as a .22 and feels nice in my hands. Some of the rifles out there are like holding up an oak 2x4. To reload, I put the butt on the ground, stabilize it with the bad arm and break the barrel with the good arm. You may have one injured limb, but you have three good ones. You would find a way to make it work.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about silencers? I saw a video of a guy shooting rats at night, pretty sure he had some type of silencer. That’s kind of the other side of this interest, being quiet in my neighborhood.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some pcp rifles have built in suppressors in the barrel assembly so you'd be good to go.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was young, the old guys would tell me, "get it in 1 shot. No one will know where it came from."
They also told me to make sure the moon is out, so you can drive without headlights.;)

Last edited:

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a PCP but i have an RWS 48. Side lever springer. Big heavy and accurate with good trigger. Not the rifle if you have a hard time cocking an air rifle.

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought my son a Seneca dragonfly. Awesome shooting solid barrel bolt action with pump its very easy to pump up

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That link was very helpful! Lots of cool stuff there. Thank you !

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what about a C02 powered rifle. They were nice back in the day. Are those nonexistent these days?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a couple of units Chi-com as c02 was banned in Europe. So none of the big names make one any more. They were eclipsed by the pcp units in the late to early 90's. They were not the little 12 gram co2 cartridges either, they were bulk fill. Crossman made a pistol and a rifle of Olympic quality back in the very early 80's. The pistol was used by the US team to win the Olympics- early 80's, the rifle was way ahead of it's time. Bean counters at Crossman killed the program. The rifle was every bit as good as the Styer or FWB offerings at 1/2 the price. The Pistol was unique in that the barrel popped up to load. The pistol frame was a alum/ magnesium / titanium alloy- very light ( I still have mine).
I used it to win the WI State Air Pistol Tournament in 1993. In 94,95,96 I used a Pardini co2 unit to win the same tournaments. In 97 I switched to a FWB model 40 pcp and again won the tournament. ( I had a good run but life got in the way) There was a bit of an equipment race going on in the high end air pistol/ rifle tournaments at that time. The use of C02 or PCP eliminated the cocking against the heavy spring or of compressing air in the case of the nuematic units. Very tiring as these were 60 shot matches for the guys and 40 for the gals ( yes the gals could compete with the guys- but the 40 shot was strictly their's alone ) and of course one had to break position to operate the charging system. The little 12 gram cartridges would not provide enough consistency nor shot count to be competitive in these venues. iirc the QB is based on the Crossman model 60 rifle- very popular plinking unit back in the day. Another take away from C02 is if its too cold the compressed co2 liquid will not expand in to gas very well leading to variable speeds of the pellets and of course accuracy/impact/ point of aim suffers as well.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stand corrected Diana has a new unit out , use 3, 12 gram cart. for apx 100 shots. Trail Scout is the model. Apx $ 129.00 , in my mind would be a better choice than the chi com.

jasper89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with the Gamo Varmint air rifle?

Have some issues with local squirrels.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a couple of units Chi-com as c02 was banned in Europe. So none of the big names make one any more. They were eclipsed by the pcp units in the late to early 90's. They were not the little 12 gram co2 cartridges either, they were bulk fill. Crossman made a pistol and a rifle of Olympic quality back in the very early 80's. The pistol was used by the US team to win the Olympics- early 80's, the rifle was way ahead of it's time. Bean counters at Crossman killed the program. The rifle was every bit as good as the Styer or FWB offerings at 1/2 the price. The Pistol was unique in that the barrel popped up to load. The pistol frame was a alum/ magnesium / titanium alloy- very light ( I still have mine).
I used it to win the WI State Air Pistol Tournament in 1993. In 94,95,96 I used a Pardini co2 unit to win the same tournaments. In 97 I switched to a FWB model 40 pcp and again won the tournament. ( I had a good run but life got in the way) There was a bit of an equipment race going on in the high end air pistol/ rifle tournaments at that time. The use of C02 or PCP eliminated the cocking against the heavy spring or of compressing air in the case of the nuematic units. Very tiring as these were 60 shot matches for the guys and 40 for the gals ( yes the gals could compete with the guys- but the 40 shot was strictly their's alone ) and of course one had to break position to operate the charging system. The little 12 gram cartridges would not provide enough consistency nor shot count to be competitive in these venues. iirc the QB is based on the Crossman model 60 rifle- very popular plinking unit back in the day. Another take away from C02 is if its too cold the compressed co2 liquid will not expand in to gas very well leading to variable speeds of the pellets and of course accuracy/impact/ point of aim suffers as well.
Wow. 4 years straight. That’s impressive! I’m going to have some questions for you as soon as I get educated enough to ask intelligent questions.