Aha another plan,tree rats

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in the woods,giant trees for the eastern side of the USA,oaks,hickories etc .Nuts and acorns every where as well as squirrels .Funny to watch but what a pain the the behind they can be .
Damned things will hid nuts any place you imagine like under the hood of my lady's GMC Envoy .Some how the shells end up in the heater vents .I've had the fan out of that thing at least 5 times .I'm 72 years old and in good shape but I'm not as limber as a cat .That getting under the dash board kind of binds me up for a few days .
Hatched a plan,good old smelly moth balls .I know they would work because I've used them before just forgot about them .Two small wire cages out of 1/4" hardware cloth hung under the hood full of moth balls .

If I could find out where the outside air inlet is I could cover it with hardware cloth but so far I can't find it .It's got to be some place .

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't we usually get the cabin air from right around where the windshield wipers pivot?
If that's still the case, then the fun part is tracking down where the little s-words have gnawed a hole in the ducting.
Yep. more contortionist fun.
Remember the fun of the 70's, when pine needles would get down into the duct and the blower motor resistor turned them into incense.
Probably a few dashboard fires were the results of a chipmonk packing the duct full of nesting materials.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the mice get inside the clutch housing on my Ranger though the ventilation holes in the bell housing which is part of the tranny .Little azz holes built a nest which hung the clutch .So there I was under the little truck pulling the tranny .Now mind my shop has a drive on car lift and a tranny jack and is 22 miles away ..Complete new clutch and hydraulic throw out unit ,dead of winter .Holes plugged with hardware cloth .
Then the sons a be's chewed my gas line above the gas tank .On a Ranger you have to lift the bed off or pull the gas tank,did the former ,new fuel line .Flippen rodents are driving me bonkers .