Aftermarket parts

Jmac460

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone, I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask so mods please move if needed. I am curious if any of you who own or run a repair shop use aftermarket parts or not and what your take is. I have recently started doing work for a couple local DPWs and lead time on parts for stihl and others through my local dealers is becoming a issue on turn around time. Not to mention stihl oem carb kits are 3 times the cost of the equivalent aftermarket parts. I obviously need parts that perform, but should I be super concerned that a bunch of “Johnny Homeowners” and DPW guys who don’t maintain and beat the guts out of their equipment may have a failure once a year? I want to do right by my customers, but I feel as though I’m the only one who really cares about oem. I’m of the buy once cry once mentality. What say you Ope forum?
Also I tried the search function but didn’t quite find what I needed.

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not a formal repair shop but I have rebuilt A LOT of carbs for different people ranging from cheap Chinese strimmers and Honda 4 strokes through to V8 Holley carbs and there is notable difference between the oem and aftermarket kits. I've found on the small engine stuff that the aftermarket ones to either be cut wrong, too thin or just rubbish material. I've even had an engine not run because the carb kit wasn't cut right and it was holding a valve shut on the fuel pump side. That said I have rebuilt ones that have run fine for years after with a cheap kit in. I find the main failure seems to come from people storing fuel in them over winter and it kills them. I've been using aspen to store some tools over winter this year as I haven't ever had a good time with dry storage and they have started second pull and ran like I had just put them away.
On the front of components I have never had a good time with aftermarket. The part always looks cheap and feels cheap and seems to not be up to scratch. I've had stuff that doesn't fit, parts that would be made of glass fibre re-inforced plastic (pa6) to be made of textured abs and be all flimsy and useless (and in the case of chain brake handles, dangerous). All in all I avoid cheap parts because as you say, buy once, buy right.

In reality its something you need to discuss with your customers as and when they need components. If you give them the option and explain the pros and cons then it's down to them as long as you accept that it may take more time to do the work as you have to fettle with things to get it all to fit right (look at the farmertec builds on here) and even then you may be sent some garbage component that doesn't work out the box.

On the lead time front I would look online for a retailer in your country. I was using a local dealer before but going online saved me a load of money and took my lead time from 5-10 days to 24 hours on parts!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most aftermarket carb kits are fine, fuel lines no, fuel filters mostly yes, hyway gasket sets and seals are fine but I always add sealant on the case gasket. Cylinders pretty much no, meteor pistons yes. Hyway mufflers are good others I've tried not so much. That's all I got...

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be wrong but I,m sure I read somewhere, you will find the springs in the am carb kits are different. Then it makes. the pop off is different

Jmac460

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I’ll give the site Dub11 mentioned a try.