av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve started using braided polyester 10mm rope with a portable capstan type wench. What do you guys use to store it so it’s readily available and safe for storage at the same time? I can’t seem to figure it out. It’s always tangled up and takes a long time to square away. Only to be tangled up again the next time I go to use it.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep it in a rope bag, carefully coil and flake it into the bag and it should come out with no or very few little knots. Then you can pull it out part way and carry the bulk wherever without dragging a tangled mess.

Or carefully loop it into a coil like winding a garden hose on a wall hanger. Use the last 10ft to wrap around your coil, then secure the end. I pass a bight or whatever they call it through one end if the coil loops and pull it over so it cinches tight.

Just some ropes sitting at home I rarely use, but the one comes out of the bag just fine (it's the product bag not a quality storage bag I was talking about) but it takes a while to stuff 200ft in there 6" at a time.
20210425_183909.jpg

20210425_184004.jpg

It's also good to pull it all out straight and remove any twisting that can occasionally build up and cause tangles. I try to untwist it as I hand coil it.

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks man, that’s exactly what I needed to hear.
I got a rope bag but it’s small. I think a bigger bag would make it easier. Really like that idea. Probably what they had in mind when they designed all this stuff.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks man, that’s exactly what I needed to hear.
I got a rope bag but it’s small. I think a bigger bag would make it easier. Really like that idea. Probably what they had in mind when they designed all this stuff.
Sherrill tree and treestuff.com usually have generic rope bags for like $30 that can hold a large bull rope. I like bags easy to carry and easy to shout which bag to send a helper to retrieve

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.treestuff.com/treestuff-simple-rope-bag/
  • Holds 200 feet of 1/2" line
  • Two 1/2" polyester webbing handles double bar tacked to the bag
  • Double reinforced bottom
  • 600D polyester construction with PVA backing
Depending on your rope, there may also be room in there for slings, carabiners, and other related rigging parts.

Just make sure to not store the rope wet.

Philbert

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rock-N-Rescue/Rock-N-Arbor have affordable rope bags that are Made in USA. They started making hardware too(carabiners etc.) that is looking great both in strength, finish, and price. They are my new favorite place to shop for such things.

Edit: Almost forgot they are running a 20% off sale right now with promo code RNR0320 to make their already great prices even better.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use a bucket myself. Found a nice miracle grow bucket that's taller than a 5 gallon. Must be a 6 or 7. Holds 200' (or maybe it's 150') of 3/4" rope perfectly.
Same here. The shot line also goes in a bucket with a lid.

Big ropes are in duffle bags.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rope bags/buckets are key. I used to coil all my rope. Gets old. Started using bags for the bull ropes and continued coiling my climbing lines. I could inspect every inch this way for damage. I've tired of doing this also after totaling thousands of feet over the years. I'm getting more bags.

When bagging a rope I like to put the bag in front while keeping the rope behind me. I run the rope over my shoulder while feeding the bag. This makes both hands free to pull the rope into the bag. Bags that stay open like a bucket are a nice feature.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve seen garden hose reels work for larger diameter or long lengths. It has wheels and is really easy to roll up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. But that would take up way to much space on the truck for me.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rope bags/buckets are key. I used to coil all my rope. Gets old. Started using bags for the bull ropes and continued coiling my climbing lines. I could inspect every inch this way for damage. I've tired of doing this also after totaling thousands of feet over the years. I'm getting more bags.

When bagging a rope I like to put the bag in front while keeping the rope behind me. I run the rope over my shoulder while feeding the bag. This makes both hands free to pull the rope into the bag. Bags that stay open like a bucket are a nice feature.

I used to go over the shoulder but have recently adopted the method of running it through a carabiner that is clipped to a buff on my neck. Doesn't fall off my shoulder or give me a rope burn if I'm really trying to hustle.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm still just "paying" the line right into the bucket hand under hand. If my saddle is on it goes trough a beaner or tiny pulley if one is handy. Pretty simple.
Square kitty litter buckets take up less room in groups but the shot line is best in a five gallon round bucket. You can shoot it from the brush or hanging from a branch. Even had a guy hold it over his head in briars with bs and scrubs everywhere. The fat rope goes in a small army gym bag 50' x 1- 1/8"
150' x 3/4" or 1/2" fits in five or six gallon buckets pretty good.
Eight gallon buckets hold a 200' shot of 3/4" bull line. You need a large upright bag like army infantry to store a 250'-300' shot of 1" line. Most large rope bags now have backpack handles built in them with good reason.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm getting some more bags after catching up with some current expenses. Just for the longer and heavier ropes. I don't mind rolling 150' of 1/2 '' by hand. The most 1/2 I'll use in that is 3 strand at 2 hanks. My 200' DB is bagged and comes out when repeated roping is required. I only use my 3strand when doing natural crotch rigging points. I like the speed of a bag, but seems a little harder to fill 3trand in a bag. The two hanks I have of 150 seems quick enough to wrap up.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I quit using three strand about six years ago. Never bought more of it.
Handy for quick moves where not a lot of rope work is needed, and you save time in setting up a block less point. . Nice for tag lines too, and cheap to replace when damaged.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 5 gallon buckets (drill holes in the bottom so water does not collect) for my smaller and shorter ropes and for my bag lines, sometimes I use electrical cord reels. Sometimes for the bag line, if I am using a big shot, I just lay a few feet out, put a piece of wood or branch on the reel's foot, and just let the line reel out itself from the bag's momentum. I used to use soft sides suitcases too. What I do try to avoid is putting them directly in with my steel cables or chains. Velcro wrap (or heavy gauge wire) around the coiled rope at the 4 compass points helps keep it straight. For my 1/4" cable loops, I use pin shackles at the top and bottom of the loops to keep them straight.