High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Add Oil Pressure Switch to Briggs Single Cylinder Intek Engine?

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, then how to do it? Our trail club has one of these on a DR mower and I would like to add an oil pressure indicator since we occasionally cut on side slopes.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, then how to do it? Our trail club has one of these on a DR mower and I would like to add an oil pressure indicator since we occasionally cut on side slopes.

Thanks,
Steve

Is it a pressure lubed engine?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it is pressure lubed and has an oil filter on it.

Look around to see if there are any pipe plugs in the block. They will be 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT.

What is the model/type/code for this engine?

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look around to see if there are any pipe plugs in the block. They will be 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT.

What is the model/type/code for this engine?

The model is 31R677-0017G1 The code says 2018 production date

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I looked around the oil filter but didn't see anything resembling a plug in an oil galley... unless they put it somewhere else?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont think there is anywhere to just screw in a sender after overlooking it. Your best bet would be adding an oil cooler adaptor from another engine and puting the switch inline.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

Thanks,
Steve
Check page 123 in the service manual - optional oil pressure gauge or switch can be installed at the oil filter adapter

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check page 123 in the service manual - optional oil pressure gauge or switch can be installed at the oil filter adapter
Thanks for the reply. Now I know where the switch is "supposed" to go! Unfortunately on my block the the sump is neither drilled or tapped. Some production "genius" probably submitted a 50 cent cost savings to delete the drill, tap, and plug operation.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Now I know where the switch is "supposed" to go! Unfortunately on my block the the sump is neither drilled or tapped. Some production "genius" probably submitted a 50 cent cost savings to delete the drill, tap, and plug operation.

I'll do an oil change this weekend and pull the filter to see if it is possible to drill and tap without contaminating the oil galley with chips.

I have also been looking for the switch part number but have hit a dry hole. The switch is supposedly an option on the 310700, 312700, and 313700 engines. However the IPLs that I can find for these engines only show the oil pressure switch plug and not the switch! I am looking on the engine sump drawing. Is that where it should be listed or is it shown on a different drawing?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll do an oil change this weekend and pull the filter to see if it is possible to drill and tap without contaminating the oil galley with chips.

I have also been looking for the switch part number but have hit a dry hole. The switch is supposedly an option on the 310700, 312700, and 313700 engines. However the IPLs that I can find for these engines only show the oil pressure switch plug and not the switch! I am looking on the engine sump drawing. Is that where it should be listed or is it shown on a different drawing?

Just go to the auto parts store and find a switch with 1/8" NPT. Most all domestic autos us a 8-11 psi sender. You just want an idiot light, right?

And this is electric start correct?

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just go to the auto parts store and find a switch with 1/8" NPT. Most all domestic autos us a 8-11 psi sender.

The repair manual for this engine specifies a 3-5 psi switch.

Can anyone tell me the PSI rating of the 792028 switch? Seems to be a popular part but can't find the rating.

You just want an idiot light, right?

Correct.

And this is electric start correct?

Correct.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drained the oil and pulled the filter and there is definitely room on the inside of the casting to drill and tap for the switch. Unfortunately, the access from the outside is kind of tight as the boss is angled slightly towards the cylinder.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, this finally got some attention. The photos attached show the finished product.

Due to the angle of the machining face I had to make some drill chuck extenders to get the body of the drill out of the way of the cylinder. For this I used standard grade 5 - 3/8" - 24 bolts, one 4 inch and the other 6". I cut the heads off and then used a 3/8-24 die to thread the bolt shaft. I used the drill press arbor to start the die to make sure that the threads were straight.

Next, mark and center-punch the engine pan casting aligning on the center of the hole inside the block and NOT the exterior flat surface. Start with a 3/32 pilot hole and finish with a 21/64". Intermediate steps are not necessary.

The 1/8"-27 tap fit nicely into a 12-point 9mm socket which I attached to a 12" socket extension. I also braced the shaft of the extension against the cylinder shield and a suitable sized block of wood underneath. This made sure that the tap started straight.

Now a word about NPT threads... The "T" means that they are tapered as in the further the tap goes in the bigger the hole gets. Therefore when tapping something like this it is IMPERATIVE that you don't go too deep! From what I read on Practical Machinist website you are aiming for 2-3 turns by hand with the mating piece. In my case this equated to about 8-10 threads of the tap remaining outside the hole. YMMV, just take your time and check you progress periodically.

The other interesting thing I learned about "NP" (National Pipe) threads are that even though designed for plumbing are NOT self sealing. That is why they have pipe "dope" for assembling plumbing. In my case the pressure switch had thread sealant on it. However, Loctite and Permatex also make thread sealing compound for engine/automotive applications.

After considerable searching I finally found what appears to be the correct 3-5 PSI pressure switch. The Briggs part number is 491657S.

When I was calling around a few local Briggs dealers looking for the pressure switch one of them accused me of polishing a "turd". Well I sort of hope that this will help this engine survive longer and at least the operator will know when they are either low on oil or on too steep of a slope and can take appropriate corrective action.

IMG_0353.JPGIMG_0354.JPGIMG_0355.JPGIMG_0352.JPG