Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Wheather your religions or not the loss of Notre Dame Cathedral is truly heartbreaking! Seeing it is something I'll probably never cross off my bucket list now. I'd like to take this opportunity to send some prayer power out to the men and women fighting the fire and to all those who will be touched by this sad event.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sad deal all around especially this close to Easter.

Now on another note, that construction company doing the renovation is fugged. Ain't nobody gonna hire them again.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im not religious in any sense of the word, but it is sad to see something like that a historic sight. certainly an architectural marvel.
Sad to see that much history going up in fire

Thats exactly what i thought too. So many priceless things in there gone. A gazillion dollars could not replace some of those things lost. :(

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not nearly as old or as historic, but I used to work in II WTC … never imagined it would be gone in my life time! Wish I'd taken some pics and kept some of my business cards with that address … but I didn't!

I also worked for a time on the grounds of Creedmoor PC, we were in the building that was the original home of the NRA! It has since been demolished, but I do have pics of it and used to regularly talk to folks down there that found old cartridges with metal detectors. Incidentally, for those who do not know, that is where the Americans won the international shooting competition for the first time. Previously the Irish and Scottish dominated the 1,000 yd matches (with open sights), with MZ firearms, but the Americans used breach loading firearms and won.

My heart ached when I saw the ND fire … Deja Vou all over again!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was obviously caused by something involved in the renovation project .I can't imagine some of that oak was 800 years old .I also can't imagine the original construction methods .Derricks,block and tackles and teams of horses and oxen I suppose .They say it took like 13,000 oak trees estimated to be 300 years old at the time they were fell ,most likely 3-4 feet in diameter .This was way before chainsaws and I'm not certain they even had cross cut saws .Imagine taking an axe to a giant oak .The lead roof weighed like 200 plus tons .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--They say they are going to rebuild it using the original materials .I'd think it would be a trick just to find that many oaks good enough to made that many beams .It will take years just to find the oaks and make the timbers but on the other hand the original construction spanned nearly 200 years but they didn't have saw mills and cranes either . I would not be surprised if a sprinkler system will be employed on this rebuild for obvious reasons .