880 chain

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my customers has a 880 kit saw I assembled. He's going to have a Stihl .404 59' bar on it. My question. What chain is recommended in your experience for this set up. Is it ported? Not yet. Neither of us has used one. And I won't port something I haven't run yet. Ya know, get a feel for it. But, eventually, its supposed to be. But the question. Full skip, semi skip or full comp? I dont have any experience with saws this big or bars that long, yet.

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my customers has a 880 kit saw I assembled. He's going to have a Stihl .404 59' bar on it. My question. What chain is recommended in your experience for this set up. Is it ported? Not yet. Neither of us has used one. And I won't port something I haven't run yet. Ya know, get a feel for it. But, eventually, its supposed to be. But the question. Full skip, semi skip or full comp? I dont have any experience with saws this big or bars that long, yet.

What kind of wood is he going to be using that long of a bar in? Around here in Wisco, the only stuff that big is Cottonwood and Silver Maple.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like using Full Skip with bars over 36” , but everyone has their own preferences, and wood type in account.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a fair amount of monster size wood. I use full skip on anything over 32". Helps keep the chain running free from clogged up kerf. Even ported. If you feel you can't load the saw enough and you don't want to lower depth gauges more, try a +1 rim.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a fair amount of monster size wood. I use full skip on anything over 32". Helps keep the chain running free from clogged up kerf. Even ported. If you feel you can't load the saw enough and you don't want to lower depth gauges more, try a +1 rim.
Solid info Jason !!

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
full skip or semi skip, just because there is room for chips. in the big stuff those chips can pack up and jam up everything. can cause clutch burnout or even over heating the saw itself.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use full comp most of the time on a 41" 088, unless I'm stumping . Skip is definitely less time consuming to file!

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of wood is he going to be using that long of a bar in? Around here in Wisco, the only stuff that big is Cottonwood and Silver Maple.
Maple, oak, cotton, walnut and a hackberry or two probably. Around here, they may not get tall. But they get thick.