kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I’ve been trying to figure out what would make the best muffler mod to promote scavenging for these saws. (550, 562, 572)

the diffuser in the center of these mufflers has a hole bunch of holes and I’ve been trying to figure out why. My only logical conclusion is that it’s not for emissions, there are too many holes, it’s gotta be for noise. More holes, more surface area, more dissipation of heat (sound).
So read here getting rid of it will promote better scavenging cause you have a nice big empty chamber to bounce an exhaust pulse back instead of a baffle in the middle to screw that up. I know a few of you have done this but what I really want to see is a pic of how you cut the muffler in half? From there I’m hoping to heat up that baffle and easily remove it with a B tank by breaking the brazing free. But I would like to know what you guys think of a couple of things

did removing that baffle show a noticeable difference in performance?
How did you do it?
Do you have pics of how you did it?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's how I did mine, before cleaning everything up. Just an extra outlet and a straight shot through the baffle. It provided a real nice bump in power, and made it louder than a 10-10 Mac.20210205_190605.jpg 20210205_193500.jpg

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's how I did mine, before cleaning everything up. Just an extra outlet and a straight shot through the baffle. It provided a real nice bump in power, and made it louder than a 10-10 Mac.View attachment 304323 View attachment 304324
Thanks for the photo!
However been there done that.

the goal is to remove this see u next Tuesday.
This is an old mk1 550 can that I bastardized years ago but kept around. I just hacked it open quick with a diamond sawzall blade in hopes to keep the metal from bending at the cut. Is this what some of you guys are doing?
24924C10-C21E-468F-AE2D-00781A741CB5.jpeg

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the photo!
However been there done that.

the goal is to remove this see u next Tuesday.
This is an old mk1 550 can that I bastardized years ago but kept around. I just hacked it open quick with a diamond sawzall blade in hopes to keep the metal from bending at the cut. Is this what some of you guys are doing?
View attachment 304330
Nah I knew it wasn't what you were looking for kneepads, I've thought though with all of the added noise the flow is probably adequate. The overall nutsack shape of the five series mufflers could be behind the extra noise though.

@Armbru84 has a pretty high zoot 550. I wonder how much is left inside that one?

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah I knew it wasn't what you were looking for kneepads, I've thought though with all of the added noise the flow is probably adequate. The overall nutsack shape of the five series mufflers could be behind the extra noise though.

@Armbru84 has a pretty high zoot 550. I wonder how much is left inside that one?
Lol

kneepads???

yes the 5 series muff is a terrible shape imo

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've tried everything. Went back to leaving the damn thing in. Noise fatigue is a real thing....and the gains ain't worth the added racket.
So it is quite a bit louder with that diffuser removed?