Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday we were trying to figure out what was going on with a new 592XP we just ported. Saw ran...but poorly. Wouldn't idle well, chugged along then finally would die. Saw would rev up, but spit and sputter. Jonathon pulled the carb, intake, etc. Found nothing wrong.

So, today we pulled a carb, coil, and wiring harness from another new saw after test running it to be sure it was good to go. In the process of pulling that saw down Jonathon found this.

IMG-20230309-WA0000.jpgIMG-20230309-WA0001.jpg

Pieces of the muffler gasket were literally everywhere. WTF?

But....back to the troubled 592XP.

He installed the parts from the saw that was just ran onto the one that wouldn't run right. It fired up, then died. Popped a few more times, but wouldn't start.

At this point we decided that tearing it all the way back down was the thing to do. That's when he found this.

20230309_134608.jpg20230309_134640.jpg

Compared to one from the saw that was running well....

20230309_134546.jpg

One thing I've noticed in more than a few Husqvarna saws....muffler bolts way too tight, and on more than one 592, spark plugs and decompression valves too tight. I had one a few months ago that took out the threads in the jug with the decomp.

Just thought I'd share.....

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting Boss man. I have the luxury of large screen magnification on the good plug pic you posted. I swear the first two threads at the base of the hex look as if they too are starting to deform and roll. Please tell me I'm fugging wrong.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting Boss man. I have the luxury of large screen magnification on the good plug pic you posted. I swear the first two threads at the base of the hex look as if they too are starting to deform and roll. Please tell me I'm fugging wrong.
The one plug is broken right off at the base. The other seems ok.....but it was terribly tight. Could be deformed.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir understand that. But the new/good plug is the one I'm talking about.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can confirm that the last brand new 550 I worked on recently I had much difficulty getting the muffler off. As my(Stihl) T-handle twisted in my hand it finally backed out with a loud crack, taking the top of the star from the bolt head. FInally got out the 3/8" drive T27 and a long handle ratchet and with continued pressure steadily increasing the fasteners finally gave way and loosened. No spark plug or decompression valve issues were noticed. Also on the 572 I just finished, nothing abnormal to report whatsoever that I can recall, in fact I was surprised how easy the muffler fasteners came off of that saw after the 550 debacle.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday we were trying to figure out what was going on with a new 592XP we just ported. Saw ran...but poorly. Wouldn't idle well, chugged along then finally would die. Saw would rev up, but spit and sputter. Jonathon pulled the carb, intake, etc. Found nothing wrong.

So, today we pulled a carb, coil, and wiring harness from another new saw after test running it to be sure it was good to go. In the process of pulling that saw down Jonathon found this.

View attachment 368062View attachment 368063

Pieces of the muffler gasket were literally everywhere. WTF?

But....back to the troubled 592XP.

He installed the parts from the saw that was just ran onto the one that wouldn't run right. It fired up, then died. Popped a few more times, but wouldn't start.

At this point we decided that tearing it all the way back down was the thing to do. That's when he found this.

View attachment 368064View attachment 368065

Compared to one from the saw that was running well....

View attachment 368066

One thing I've noticed in more than a few Husqvarna saws....muffler bolts way too tight, and on more than one 592, spark plugs and decompression valves too tight. I had one a few months ago that took out the threads in the jug with the decomp.

Just thought I'd share.....
it sure looks like that plug is broken and seperated. is it? edited nevermind i missed where you said that it is brokrn

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can confirm that the last brand new 550 I worked on recently I had much difficulty getting the muffler off. As my(Stihl) T-handle twisted in my hand it finally backed out with a loud crack, taking the top of the star from the bolt head. FInally got out the 3/8" drive T27 and a long handle ratchet and with continued pressure steadily increasing the fasteners finally gave way and loosened. No spark plug or decompression valve issues were noticed. Also on the 572 I just finished, nothing abnormal to report whatsoever that I can recall, in fact I was surprised how easy the muffler fasteners came off of that saw after the 550 debacle.
Have only had to use vise grips on T handle. Maybe Husqvarna is tired of hearing about loose or missing fasteners.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea that plugs upper threaded section almost looks separated , that can’t be grounded to well ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always run a new 5 series first before tearing into it now. Get it good and hot and the muffler bolts come out easier.

Awkward on the rest of the *s-worde though

Last edited:

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or their QC personal have wide specifications, or none at all .

I'd bet you're right.

I took back the first 572 I took home cause the top cover was slightly warped and didn't fit onto the case; had a gap and wouldn't seat well, but would clamp.

I can't remember if that one had the purge line disconnected or if it was the one I ended up using.

So far I haven't been satisfied with that saw. But I only have 15 tanks or less through it.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd bet you're right.

I took back the first 572 I took home cause the top cover was slightly warped and didn't fit onto the case; had a gap and wouldn't seat well, but would clamp.

I can't remember if that one had the purge line disconnected or if it was the one I ended up using.

So far I haven't been satisfied with that saw. But I only have 15 tanks or less through it.
That sucks and sorry to hear that.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the bottom inserts in the handle mount literally spin in the plastic, when changing the half to full wrap handle . Just ridiculous tight for a tiny metal insert .