High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

POULAN 5020av replaced carb idles but that's it

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello again group, thanks for the help on my echo 590 so now I go back in time to an older Poulan 5020 av (I hope that's the correct name) 50cc engine older model my GF had her lawn people using and of course they didn't maintain it at all. Last summer I was messing with it a bit and replaced the coil as I didn't see any spark.

Today, I had bought a generic replacement carburetor on A.... and put it on fired up but I can't use the throttle. I've tried this about 5x I can get it to start and it idles fairly cleanly but nothing on throttle except a dead saw.

Trying to go back to my Echo experience with the bar oil I think last year I replaced the filter and hoses they must be working or it wouldn't keep starting but if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I haven't messed with the H/L screws yet but I think that's not the issue but of course it could be.

There is a clank sound in there hope the crank is not fried but I don't know the history.... If you have an idea I'd appreciate the information...

Thanks Dave

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you adjusted the H or L screw yet?

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today, I had bought a generic replacement carburetor on A.... and put it on fired up but I can't use the throttle. I've tried this about 5x I can get it to start and it idles fairly cleanly but nothing on throttle except a dead saw.
Is the throttle linkage connected properly?

dfphoto

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry about the delays, Yes my throttle linkage is working, I did not know you need special tools to adjust these carbs I can't adjust the high low unless I have the covers off, I tried cleaning the original carb but it wouldn't start put the replacement knock off on and it still only idles. I adjusted the high low and will test it later today. My GF has an older Homelite blower with a gummed up carb so I'm trying vinegar to clean it out like I did with my Mikuni from my Yamaha. Will see how that goes.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would buy a set of carb adjuster tools before you do anything else. You're going to always be needing them anyway.