462 carb swap

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ported a 462 std carb saw for a customer, he's having a hard time tuning it with the limited coil. he would like to trade all the carb components for c-m components, let me know if anyone is interested in doing a trade.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ported a 462 std carb saw for a customer, he's having a hard time tuning it with the limited coil. he would like to trade all the carb components for c-m components, let me know if anyone is interested in doing a trade.

I'm sure you know how to tune it....but a lot of guys have trouble with limited rpm tuning.

I'll share my method, and maybe a few other people will chime in. Could be a good opportunity for us all to learn something.

On the 6100, and the 7900, I fatten the high side up till the tach is steady. Then, lean it back out till the tach starts bouncing around. Then....I go just a little bit leaner. Of course testing in wood is next, and a little fine tuning from there.

Something I'm not sure about though, will my DTI Fast Tach read the MS462 like it does other brands of limited coils?

I've never had one here that wasn't an M-Tronic.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure you know how to tune it....but a lot of guys have trouble with limited rpm tuning.

I'll share my method, and maybe a few other people will chime in. Could be a good opportunity for us all to learn something.

On the 6100, and the 7900, I fatten the high side up till the tach is steady. Then, lean it back out till the tach starts bouncing around. Then....I go just a little bit leaner. Of course testing in wood is next, and a little fine tuning from there.

Something I'm not sure about though, will my DTI Fast Tach read the MS462 like it does other brands of limited coils?

I've never had one here that wasn't an M-Tronic.
the dti will read mtronic coils

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there an unlimited coil that fits nice on the 462? This would be a solution if it can be done.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None that I know of

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I do it all wrong but I don't trust my ears. I take about the biggest bar I'll run on the saw, find a piece of wood big enough to bury it in and tune it to max rpm in the cut then back it off a few hundred RPM. I guess kinda like an M-tronic except I do it once in a while as needed instead of multiple times a second.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he can't hear it and don't trust himself, just wants to trade if he can, otherwise he's going to buy the mt parts