460 rancher worth porting?

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
was wondering what you guys thought about porting a husky 460 rancher.

I'm gonna rebuild the carb on my brothers rancher and turn it up while I'm at it. plan so far is muffler mod, timing advance, and I'm gonna make a pop up piston.

but as far as porting goes I don't ever really see people porting these. are the gains just not there? I have never ported a strato engine so I'm also curious on what I should do with the upper transfers if I port it. should i somehow disable/remove the strato side. thanks

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind ported one for me quite some time ago now. I dunno what he did, all I do know is I asked that it could pull the 24" bar it came with and it definitely did do that. It would run along side my stock 266xp(that I got later) pretty evenly I'd say, so no doubt as to the boost in power that Randy put in it.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind ported one for me quite some time ago now. I dunno what he did, all I do know is I asked that it could pull the 24" bar it came with and it definitely did do that. It would run along side my stock 266xp(that I got later) pretty evenly I'd say, so no doubt as to the boost in power that Randy put in it.
well good to know there's potential there atleast. he also runs a 24in 3/8 bar on it and doesn't plan on going smaller as I offered to give him a 20in 325 as I know it would like that better but he wants to run it with a bigger bar.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well good to know there's potential there atleast. he also runs a 24in 3/8 bar on it and doesn't plan on going smaller as I offered to give him a 20in 325 as I know it would like that better but he wants to run it with a bigger bar.

Yes indeed even a 20 3/8 bar would be more realistic. Thinking back when I got the saw in 2011/12 it was my "big" saw at the time as I was cutting with a 50cc 20 3/8 already and wanted a little bit more for the larger trees. It seems quite laughable now, but, that was all I could afford then(I really wanted a 365) and was proud as punch to get it right up until I tried cutting with the full 24 inches and the motor kept stalling out which annoyed the heck out of me. So, putting a smaller bar on which would have certainly made sense, was not an option, which led to letting @Mastermind stick his dickskinners in there and give it a little extra power. In hindsight again, I could have just as easily bought the "extra power" with a different saw and been just as well off. Now with saws, saws everywhere I look, the MMWS 460R was the gateway saw into the insanity. Lol

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes indeed even a 20 3/8 bar would be more realistic. Thinking back when I got the saw in 2011/12 it was my "big" saw at the time as I was cutting with a 50cc 20 3/8 already and wanted a little bit more for the larger trees. It seems quite laughable now, but, that was all I could afford then(I really wanted a 365) and was proud as punch to get it right up until I tried cutting with the full 24 inches and the motor kept stalling out which annoyed the heck out of me. So, putting a smaller bar on which would have certainly made sense, was not an option, which led to letting @Mastermind stick his dickskinners in there and give it a little extra power. In hindsight again, I could have just as easily bought the "extra power" with a different saw and been just as well off. Now with saws, saws everywhere I look, the MMWS 460R was the gateway saw into the insanity. Lol
ya sending if off to be pro ported would be the best option but he's not gonna spend any money on it. I have a clone 660 he steals all the time and I'm sure he would upgrade to that first.

having never ported a strato saw that's the only thing I'm really wondering about as the transfer area is going to be a little different but I wonder If I could just delete or blend the strato side on the intake and than just put the transfers at the same height.

Reactions: Lnk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ya sending if off to be pro ported would be the best option but he's not gonna spend any money on it. I have a clone 660 he steals all the time and I'm sure he would upgrade to that first.

having never ported a strato saw that's the only thing I'm really wondering about as the transfer area is going to be a little different but I wonder If I could just delete or blend the strato side on the intake and than just put the transfers at the same height.
I would refer you to @Mastermind as to what he did to the saw as I'm not the curious type and never peaked.

The only thing I can offer is that I've yet to find the strato type saw that the strato's were the thing that was holding up making power. It(fuel and air) eventually all get mixed up together and if anything does spill into the exhaust, it's air, not air/fuel, why dicker that part up when it works so well?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don't mess with the strato ports at all.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tip looks like ill be leaving the strato side alone then.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
of course after I post this he finds a blown up 660 clone so that's gonna be the next project for me. there is some carnage with this one.

will have to see later if he still wants the rancher worked over.

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm gonna rebuild the carb on my brothers rancher and turn it up while I'm at it. plan so far is muffler mod, timing advance, and I'm gonna make a pop up piston.

but as far as porting goes I don't ever really see people porting these. are the gains just not there? I have never ported a strato engine so I'm also curious on what I should do with the upper transfers if I port it. should i somehow disable/remove the strato side. thanks
Where did you end up with this? I'm about to do my own

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
never ended porting that saw for my brother tho he still has it he got a farmertec 660 and I ported that one and he loves it so the 460 doesn't get as much use.

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
never ended porting that saw for my brother tho he still has it he got a farmertec 660 and I ported that one and he loves it so the 460 doesn't get as much use.
Lol I can see that. I have a 066 red-light with a $30 ebay bigbore topend I ported about a year ago and it's scary sometimes. I love to experiment with saws among other things to see where they can be the best performance yet retain reliability and certain saws I've noticed just feel like they have greater potential then others and this is one of them. It reminds me of my cs-590, good work saw like the 460 but after I did everything I did to it turned into an amazing saw with power throughout the entire rev range and a unmistakable air cracking sound blasting from the exhaust. Im going to do some small things I haven't seen anyone else do to a 460 and see where she lands.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol I can see that. I have a 066 red-light with a $30 ebay bigbore topend I ported about a year ago and it's scary sometimes. I love to experiment with saws among other things to see where they can be the best performance yet retain reliability and certain saws I've noticed just feel like they have greater potential then others and this is one of them. It reminds me of my cs-590, good work saw like the 460 but after I did everything I did to it turned into an amazing saw with power throughout the entire rev range and a unmistakable air cracking sound blasting from the exhaust. Im going to do some small things I haven't seen anyone else do to a 460 and see where she lands.
well you should do a post on it I'm sure there would be people that would like to see how it turns out. I know I would.

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just did mine. Turned out awsome. Great running saw now.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell yes, do it yourself only way to learn…I done a few ms250s just because….got a 362 I did and still have that runs great…is it a professional job, absolutely it, was it fun and the saw runs good, absolutely yes!!