High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

455 rancher(2010)-What am I missing?

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newb here and to small engines, but I have lots of experience with large engines, etc. Which is why when my 455 Rancher started dying under load, I figured what the heck, how hard can it be? Fast forward 2 months, and I'm about to lose it! with each fruitless action I moved on to another, until cost practicality was abandoned and gave way to pride. here are my steps in order: Cleaned air filter, changed fuel filter, checked carb intake for leaks, checked spark arrestor, changed plug, fitted carb kit, changed fuel lines & primer bulb, changed ignition module, changed carb, changed impulse line, checked compression, found low...changed piston & cylinder, and after that last action... the saw is doing the SAME THING!!! I know I should've tossed this a few steps back, but I will not let this orange demon defeat me.... What have I overlooked?

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
well I did try tuning the first one, made no difference, it would start in 2 pulls, idle continuously, but when throttle opened it would just moan pathetically. I figured the new carb (Chinese, "HIPA WTA-29") might be set a bit lean, but should at least give a normal rev response with no load... I'll have a go at tuning tomorrow.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny thing I just had a saw doing very similar things I blamed it on old gas cleaned carb an tuned on it and it ran. 445 husky Not my Saw

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well I did try tuning the first one, made no difference, it would start in 2 pulls, idle continuously, but when throttle opened it would just moan pathetically. I figured the new carb (Chinese, "HIPA WTA-29") might be set a bit lean, but should at least give a normal rev response with no load... I'll have a go at tuning tomorrow.
Dying under load is usually lean on the high side, turn it out a little and try again. Did you do a leak down test on the saw?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check my youtube channel for full teardown of the 455. If you did not properly diagnose the reason for low compression. ..the saw will just eat itself again.

And yes...I play parts darts too. Can be frustrating at times.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your muffler may be plugged up or your tank vent may not be operating properly.

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your muffler may be plugged up or your tank vent may not be operating properly.
Forgot to mention, I changed that tank vent as well... wasn't an all out parts blitz... progressed from cheapest and least effort to.... changing the blasted cylinder/piston/ring.... will have time later today to try my hand at carb tuning... Could it be timing at all? my flywheel keyway is intact, & I torqued it per service manual...

Uzi

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad kill switch or wires that are shorting out when the saw flexes during cutting?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I worked on a 455 Rancher for a friend last summer that was doing the exact same thing. After I found I could not tune the issue away, I replaced the fuel line, filter, tank vent and kitted the carb making sure metering needle height was correct. Problem persisted. It was after this I realized the saw was still under factory warrantee, so being that I did not want my friend paying for more "darts" for me to throw at it (I like that saying Mattyo, fits perfectly!) I took the saw to GKS to see what they could do with it. They ended up replacing the entire carb... Saw runs fine now.

I see you stated you replaced the carb, but did you go with OEM (Zama) replacement? You said it was chinese, but a chinese Zama or another chinese flavor knock-off???

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What exactly are the symptoms again?

A bog when you initially grab the throttle means you are not getting enough fuel on the low screw.

Can you get a vid?

Also....fuel is driven by the fuel pump...so if there is something wrong with impulse line the pump will not go...

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was your old piston and cylinder scored?

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was your old piston and cylinder scored?
Old cylinder walls looked fine, ring was still loose and springy... piston looked like crap though deposits, etc, replaced em with the $29 hutzl kit. Update on the tuning effort, being a newb and all, I just followed a youtube vid... turn H & L fully in, back out 1.5 turns, start up, after warmup adjust L just above self sustaining, open throttle & adjust H for just below manic sound...FAIL. L adjust went as expected, open throttle produced same moaning death... Someone mentioned clogged exhaust.. I've had it off several times, thought it was just an open chamber for resonance, is there special stuff in there?

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bad kill switch or wires that are shorting out when the saw flexes during cutting?
Electrics are good, new wires came with the new coil & switch contact is solid... you can tell its fuel or air related by the strained dying sound when you open the throttle, its not a clean cut like loss of ignition..

Reactions: Uzi

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What exactly are the symptoms again?

A bog when you initially grab the throttle means you are not getting enough fuel on the low screw.

Can you get a vid?

Also....fuel is driven by the fuel pump...so if there is something wrong with impulse line the pump will not go...
Good idea with the vid, its dark out, maybe tomorrow before football. new cylinder with new impulse port, frsh new impulse tubing fitted also.. I dunno, saw seems cursed.

Lexicon

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good idea with the vid, its dark out, maybe tomorrow before football. new cylinder with new impulse port, frsh new impulse tubing fitted also.. I dunno, saw seems cursed.
Initial fail was halfway through a tropical hardwood tree, dunno the type, was wide open cutting like a champ, then died. after that it would start after 5-6 pulls, idle, and die whenever you opened throttle, after that I followed std t/shoot up to this point.. Now it starts 2 pulls, idles and dies on any attempt to accelerate... I did not do leakdown though, not that well equipped... assumed new piston/cyl/rings would eliminate need for that..

Last edited: